Unity Engine performance

Hi all,

I’m on lecture 10 of the Multiplayer Basics course and have noticed that I’m newly getting terrible performance from the Unity engine. Getting the “hold on” message very frequently, including for >2min when trying to run the project.

I have not experienced this sort of system lag in the past (and based on my specs, do not believe I should be). So, I am trying to track down exactly where it’s coming from. I’m working in a new version of Unity (2020.1.0f1), and we’ve introduced a lot of new packages in this course. So, I’ve got lots of potential sources for issues.

In this thread, it seems others are experiencing the problem and the culprit may be Unity Collaborate: https://forum.unity.com/threads/lots-of-busy-hold-on-etc.833644/page-4

So, I removed Collaborate and seem to have cratered my project. Even after adding Collaborate to the project again, I cannot build (console reads “Assets\Mirror\Runtime\NetworkManagerHUD.cs(153,21): error CS0103: The name ‘GUILayout’ does not exist in the current context”). Happily, I’m not too bothered by the loss of our work in section one–especially as I had just completed the task before wrecking everything, ha-ha.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions before I go deeper down the rabbit hole?

Overall, I’m really loving the course, and can’t wait to get into section two!

Ive not encountered any lagging issues. Myh only thought is to update your Unity version. They are now up to 2020.1.13

Updating seems to have done the trick. Load times are much more reasonable now. Thanks!

Privacy & Terms