Try Temporal Temperamental

Temporal Temperamental

Latest Release!
https://sjc3.discourse-cdn.com/business5/uploads/db2322/optimized/3X/0/2/02cc6dd1a0079ebfa34aa103c45f030dc61b8856_1_690x350.jpg

KEYS

Space = Thrust
Left Control = Reverse Thrust
A = Rotate Left
D = Rotate Right

Objective

You have escaped the rocket craft in the landing module and have managed to patch in the FTL drive but its slightly temperamental.
Get to the teleport zones to leapfrog your way home!

Known Bugs/Issues

No particles on reverse thrust
Game play at present not suited to reverse thrust, Future level designs to include this.
Only 6 levels

Other features planned and replacement of most assets to come from blender.
Note Aside from the course supplied assets, I created the rest.
Hows the lighting? Too bright or could i go darker?

6 Likes

Great! I love the level design work you’ve done, and the rocket is classy! It does feel like the rotational pivot is a bit low though… (Lecture 37 covers the pivot-point I think)

2 Likes

Wow thank-you for that feedback its spot on. When i created the model in blender i neglected to reset the origin so its sitting at the tail of the model.
The model is going to be updated slightly but i want to try to keep to the overall design on it. I will make sure to fix that in v2.0

Thanks again for that really helpful feedback!

Edit :- Model fixed as needed to fix scale and rotation issues. Will probably remodel rocket later as theres a lighting issue on the first level roof rock as well.
Thanks for the feedback as led me to other fixes i needed.

2 Likes

Great game! I too love the level design! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Thanks guys :slight_smile:
I have been working on this already this morning (10am Uk time now).

Alpha v1.1 click here!

Bug Fixes

• Lunar Lander now pivots more like a lander (Thanks @JackDraak )
  • Fixed rotational and scale issues on luna lander

Newly added

• Music for each scene
  • Replaced place holder sound effects
  • Replaced particle systems
  • Added smoke to RCS reverse thrust (Sound to be changed later possibly)
  • Other minor tweaks.

Please be patient as the game loads!

2 Likes

Bug Found :- Death particle system did not follow ship. Corrected for Alpha 1.2. Thanks @OboShape for finding this one.

2 Likes

Thanks to @Zesix for pointing out the free unity asset for Post Processing Stack on the asset store i bring you the sneak peak at the new art style :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Level 2 done, Next update after 4 more levels done.

4 Likes

I’ve played your game again. I really liked the music that you used for level 1. Where did you get it?

1 Like

It was part of one of the Sonniss audio packs they gave away,

2 Likes

New update today with an easter egg surprise graphics in level 6.
I will probably revisit this and re-texture and add more features and levels but now i feel its time to move on.

I present Temporal Temperamental.

1 Like

you dieded

1 Like

Hey Marc,

Like I said on discord, I love how you play with the lights and the lively level design. I’m into that. Recently used glowing things in examples for my current project myself.

Could not decide if it was a bit too dark form me (hard to see some obstacles), or it was just because it does not go full screen on the website and everything else around it was brighter, + my glossy monitor and the sunny weather I have right now.

I’m right handed and constantly found myself reaching for the arrow keys instead of A & D. I needed to cross my hands, and it’s slightly uncomfortable and hard to play. My suggestion would be to add the arrow keys as secondary.

I think all these games face some problems with landings. I just fell off the moving platform and was teleporting at multiple locations simultaneously. Haven’t seen the course yet, so not sure how things are setup. The first thing that comes to mind:
When the ship touches the platform, check velocity.
If it’s over a threshold:
blow up.
else:
start a coroutine that will wait a specified time (let’s say 2s) and checks
if the ship is still touching the platform (can use a boolean that you set in OnCollisionEnter and OnCollisionExit) and it’s velocity is zero:
If both true, check if the ship’s rotation is within a threshold from being upright.
If yes:
success
else:
fail

The above is off the top of my head and could be wrong for how the game works, but I hope if nothing else, it will give you inspiration. Could be also out of the scope of the project in the course, in which case you can just come back to it later.

Nice little spaceship and it’s a cool teleport effect you got there!
Best of luck!

2 Likes

Looking good Marc. The lighting is really nice and I really like your particle effects.

Couple of things to think about that came to mind whilst I was playing:

1. When you die (which I did a lot) the explosion effect is clearly being bound to a square/cube. Maybe switch this up to make it look a bit more natural.
  2. When landing on the pad there are some effects that trigger. I rarely landed on the pad clean, and when falling these effects spawn where the player was rather than where they are. Maybe try childing these effects to the player so they can move with it (not sure of the effect you’re going for but it felt like a teleport).
  3. Your levels can take some time to load and I originally thought the game had frozen. Could be worth hiding it behind a load screen, or adding a whirlygig to indicate that the game hasn’t locked up.

Other than that, I’m well impressed with how your game is looking. I’ve only played to level 3 so far but I’m going to go back and play it again now! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Marc,

This is really nice, great work, I really love the use of lighting, colours and sound effects.

My observations pretty much ditto all of the above, the only other bits I might add to the suggestions are;

• perhaps consider making the ship disappear just after the particle effects for the safe landing kick in, this would make the ship look like it was warping/beaming to the next level/cavern/world
  • on spawning I only seem to be on the pad the very first time, after that I am always a little in the air and descend to the pad, you could do the reverse effects of the successful landing for subsequent levels, e.g. pop the particle effects in, then just afterwards, make the ship appear, and play the same audio clip but in reverse, so you’d have warping out and then warping in for the next level.
  • hiding the ship when it crashes would be good also as you can sometimes see it through the explosion etc

Really like it though, the team here at NASA Bristol have sadly lost several flight crews this morning :wink:

3 Likes

Amazing affects and love the audio, :+1:

I feel the ship moves a little bit too fast though for the size of the play area so difficult to be more precise when going around obstacles.

I like the backwards thrust idea which could make some good game moments in a zero gravity atmosphere, is it used in later levels as i haven’t managed to use it yet ?

1 Like

I actually did not get around to making a level to utilize it although i was thinking of tuning down the rocket for some levels and even resizing it to make a larger maze for later levels.
I at the end of current content of the next section so i will come back and visit this as i feel it could use a UI and some other parts mentioned here too.

Thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback i am really glad you enjoyed the game too!

On the points i agree although some of your solutions i prefer to my own ideas.

• I did consider this incorporating childing the rocket to the landing pad on landing and thus it moving with the pad on landing. However i agree with the idea would be better to turn the ship off.

• Thats my bad impatience of forgetting the lower it. I had some issues with some of the rocks and had to raise the landing pad as the rocket was colliding with the inflated mesh, I was having the rockey drop to guage where the pad needed to be and adjusting the mesh collider. This can be returned to its normal position on next phase.

• Great idea i complete missed this for an idea and would solve a few issues at the same time.

I am thinking once the next section is complete I’ll revisit to keep my C# skills up and add more features,fuel, and tweak the speed :slight_smile:
Thanks again Rob

1 Like

Looks good ! Nice work !

Control is definitely hard for me. I’m wondering if some of the difference in gameplay is because physics is modified in the Update() function rather than the fixed update (making it framerate dependent). Also control can be made easier with drag (so that the rocket doesn’t have so much inertia) but I can understand if that was your design goal of course.

Some of the obstacles can be hard to see on my monitor. (okay my feedback is maybe that I suck at action games :). you did a great job on your end).

this made me jump, lol xxx jess

Privacy & Terms