Time.deltaTime problems...again

I’m having the same issues as this person:

The problem is, this thread is locked as solved and I don’t understand the solution. The solution was sent specifically to the person who asked the question, and I’m not sure what the final code should be.

The problem is that my rocket will no longer move once I added the snippet:

• Time.deltaTime);

I know this has already been solved, but I’m having difficulty finding the solution. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

private void ApplyThrust()
{
rigidBody.AddRelativeForce(Vector3.up * mainThrust * Time.deltaTime);
if (!audioSource.isPlaying)
{
audioSource.PlayOneShot(mainEngine);
}
mainEngineParticles.Play();
}

Hey, you probably need to set your mainThrust to a much higher number (if you haven’t already) . I set mine to around 1000 in my script :slight_smile:
Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

Thank you! That worked.

No, I had not thought to try doing that. I was using about 40 thrust before adding the extra code, and now 1000 gets me a similar result.

I will mark this as solved.

No worries :slight_smile: it was mostly luck that i found it haha, i think they mentioned it at some point a few lessons later aswell haha.

1 Like

Yeah, it was the very first thing Rick mentioned in the next lesson.

But here is what happened in real time:

I did the lesson around 11:30 in the morning and by around 2:00 PM, I still couldn’t get it right and I had to go to work. I didn’t get a chance to watch the next lesson until after work. By that time, I had already gotten and tried your solution.

I burned some time before work fiddling around, wondering why my stuff wasn’t working before moving on, and the information I needed was, literally, 30 seconds into the next episode.

I’m about 80% glad I got it sorted out and about 20% “grumble grumble”. Still, I’m not behind schedule and things are moving along nicely!

On another note, I went back and re-read the other solution and it makes more sense now. When I read it the first time, I kept thinking “no, I don’t think that’s it…” for whatever reason…maybe because I don’t remember Ben mentioning it in the video.

I spent a couple of hours clicking around in the videos to find the information I missed and it wasn’t there. Since Ben didn’t change his, I didn’t think mine needed changing either and I glossed over that suggested solution.

Now that I look back, Ben hadn’t tested this feature in his video so the problem was unknown at the time Ben made his video, and then addressed in Rick’s following video.

It took me a while to put all this together, but now I understand Lucy’s solution. No disrespect intended towards Lucy. I’m just kinda dumb sometimes. Still encountering a lot of new information.

I am very thankful for the help! :slightly_smiling_face:

That sounds alot like my luck haha, sometimes it’s better to move on for a while and come back to it, I’m still learning that one :joy:

Things are always paimfully clear in hindsight haha ayleast you got there eventually!
Goodluck with the rest of the course (:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms