This is the worst course ever had

Now after importing that package for nothing in my project, now it is ruined i cant pick anything from screen i guess you are happy after that.
20 minutes long videos for no value, you just horrible instructor.
Where is saving or loading data ??
Unity Multiplayer course is just scam

Holy Smokes. I was really looking forward to this one.
That’s disappointing to hear.

I redo the project 2 times, now my canves not functioning.
This is my third course, the only good instructors are Rick and Bill the rest are just clowns.

This seems harsh and I’ve thrown a test back at an instructor who couldn’t be bothered to come up with anything better than hotkey shortcuts to use as a test. Teachers can be so inconsistently effective from person to person. But in my experience, Ben’s as good as Rick and that’s tough because of the amount of heart Rick clearly invests. His passion for the craft sings. Stephen has diagrammed some of the most esoteric concepts that really clicked for me, sometimes in places where others had failed and I’ve had luck with Sam’s courses too. The Teaching Assistants here and over on GDtv’s equivalent UDemy courses have helped me through some tougher stuff too. Some of them seriously rock. On UDemy there’s quizes that you don’t get on here and I don’t like that because when properly used I feel like it really helps to double-check and assure I’m absorbing the info.

1 Like

Game Dev can be a bit of a monster to learn and a moving target at that but I obviously like this site. It’s easy to just get ridiculously stuck, feel hopeless and infuriated. But at their best I feel like the structure of these tutorials spirals around the content while slowly drilling deeper each time they revisit a thing.

1 Like

Hi there,
First of all, I am sorry to hear you are having trouble, but I request that you are respectful to our instructors. That being said, if you have constructive feedback for the course, we are happy to hear it, as we are constantly looking at ways to update and improve the material.

As well, I am here to answer any questions you have regarding the course. I can help you fix bugs and get your game working as well as help you understand the material. If you open a thread for any specific issues you have I will be happy to answer your questions as soon as possible.

1 Like

That’s nice that I found instructor reply when I complain!
The assistants level is not the suitable for teaching, idk maybe they are better in work or something else but not in teaching.
See my comments are:

1. Very long lecture; does not contain content it is just copy pasting the instructor moves.
  2. Not clear showing the mechanics of the illustrated techniques.
  3. Using not stable assets or asking students to install not stable versions of it while it is not necessary leading for crash
  4. No testing the courses before publish, or having students try this course to find out the common mistakes that many people spend hours to find
  5. It is just show off courses, while in reality does not have the value that people look for (save, load,…), idk the purpose I guess that for preventing other people go to next levels in game design making or other levels.
    It is my third course as i said (The completed 2D and 3D C# Unity course) and i rated them 5 stars because it was outstanding and nice, but multi-player deserve less than one star for the bad experience that I had.
    I can solve the issues by my own or read in the forum, I want real value this course is just showing off. I entered this course to deal with basic server/client issues then i found no updating the game, no saving player progress, no usernames and passwords.
    As instructor can u add that in the course?

Did you ask questions that I did not answer? If so, I apologize for missing them, I try to respond to all forum questions tagged with the unity-multiplayer tag within 1-2 days. If you could point me to questions you asked, I would be happy to answer them now, and also to understand if there was a technical problem that meant I did not see them. This would be helpful in preventing overlooked questions in the future.

Thank you as well for your feedback. I feel your expectations were not met in this course. The focus of the course was meant to be multiplayer. Features like saving and loading are covered in the RPG course, while this course was meant to cover a unique set of features specific to Mirror. Also the length and structure of the videos does differ from previous courses, and different students prefer different approaches.
The goal was also to make this course concise and within a scope that could be achieved without the user having to purchase any other software or services. Features such as accounts, hosting games on a server, and anything that would require a database, generally need other hosting services in order to be played online.

On another note, this course was tested on students before release. However, there are some bugs that seem to occur for some students and not for others. Having looked at dozens of students projects, I still can not decipher why too identical projects might have different bugs in them or why some bugs were not reproducible. These mostly surround network behaviour, and are probably related to how different systems handle the network sockets. This could not be predicted in advance which is why there are teaching assistants such as me to help students with their unique issues.

The other thing I would like to ask is if you used the Unity and Mirror versions that the instructor used during the course? Unity, Mirror and Steamworks are all updated on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis and it’s impossible to keep up with all the changes. We review content on a continuous basis to decide when and where to update courses. You own lifetime access to the course, and will therefore have access to any future versions of the course as it is updated.

Thanks again for your feedback. Feedback on the structure of the videos is used when making future courses and updating existing ones. If you have further specific feedback, I encourage you post it in the forum.

Note: I am not an instructor and cannot add material to the course. I can discuss and help you with extensions to the course material in the forums.

1 Like

First thanks for your fast reply.
The color in the multi-player course is completely does not function anymore now at all, i just skipped that part just put the code for view only. The question regarding that issue kept with no reply for about more than month is in first chapter, until I answered it once i started this course, but also it is not functioning in the second chapter.
No i did not use that version that was course made it because it is 1 year old. There are imported packages ruined my project at all i wish you reduce the packages that does not directly involve in the core of the project.
Please don’t take it personally, I just feel disappointed after nice experience in previous two courses.

1 Like

I was one of about 20 testers for the course and I can tell you, it was tested. It worked. That being said, things can change over time, though if you use the same versions, I’d say it should still work.

One comment I made during testing for this one is that it did feel like it was a lot less value and a lot more rushed than the 2D/3D courses. It didn’t feel like it had typical value/depth I had come to expect from gamedev.tv courses. Networking is a fickle beast. I’m yet to try to include it in any of my games.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms