The System Cannot Find The File Specified

I’m watching this lesson and it tells me to make a C# script. When I double click it to open it in Visual Studio Code, this red error message pops up on the bottom of the screen. The screen capture shows more about the error on the console below.

Even though the error message pops up, the Visual Studio Code seems to open the file perfectly fine. Nothing looks wrong except the error message. I want to resolve this before moving on but I’m not sure what to resolve and how this will affect the rest of the lesson.

Should I continue on as normal? I’m afraid that this will bite me in the butt later down the line.

I can answer questions if it’ll help someone understand the situation better. Thanks!

Hi Hans,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

Have you already tried to restart Unity and Visual Studio Code? If so, did the message appear again?

If it did, go to Window > Package Manager and remove the “Visual Studio Code Editor” package and reinstall it. Launch Unity again and try to make the message appear again.

If it appeared again, go to Edit > Preferences > External Tools. Is VS Code selected as your external script editor?

Do you use an antivirus program or a firewall that might be blocking Unity or VS Code?

And last but not least, make sure that you do not run anything in a cloud. The project folders and files must be locally on your harddrive.

Hopefully, this helped.

See also:

Hi Nina,

Thank you for the response! I ended up figuring out the issue had to do with the files being located in different drives since my computer has both a C: and a D: drive. I just had to reinstall everything to my C: drive and everything seems to work good.

I went through your suggestions and the part where you mentioned the cloud and being in my drive helped me realize that.

Thank you again for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms