The ShadowLight Kingdom, my first playable demo

Oh, then that’s perfect, and as always, nice work! :slight_smile:

Updated Fri Dec 08 2017 19:25

@CreativebytheSea

Dani, I just watched the video again regarding the edge of the map etc, this time I was on the laptop and enjoyed sound… it strikes me that character maybe needs to say something like “woooaaah!”, “ooopsie!” or “uh oh…”, that type of thing, possibly have a little selection which could be randomised. Just a thought :slight_smile:

I really liked how the game looks, and also the running animation of a main character.
Great job.

I would like to make a suggestion regarding a level design

As you can see on the picture, main character is hidden behind the rock, so it was somehow hard for me
to get out from there, because you can not see where character is facing right now. So maybe if you could
place a plant that you can not pass, to avoid situations like this. Or may be to add a transparency to the rock to see character through it?

2 Likes

Hi @Maxim_Inozemtsev, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
You tried the old demo, I’m working on a new version where the issue you mentioned it’s getting fixed. Thanks so much to give it a try!! I hope I can post soon the new version :slight_smile:

1 Like

hahaha… I was thinking the same :slight_smile: I will add some stuff… I just added a new feature to the player I think it will bring some more fun and cartoony style to the game. I’ll post an update soon… Thanks so much for the feedback!

1 Like

hehe, careful now, I may start to feel useful! :smiley:

On a related note, the voices could be male/female perhaps (or different in pitch at least) based on character selection. Not sure if you’ve mentioned that or not yet, or whether there is only the one main character to play as… again, just a thought…

I will look forward to seeing the next update :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CreativebytheSea Great! I can’t wait to try new version of your game

2 Likes

Hi guys, here is another little update.
Following some ideas thrown here in this forum I added a new feature to the player, now he can express himself depending on his mood. The system has a list of different moods, and each mood has different sentences, so each time the comic bubble is displayed a sentence is randomly picked.
In the video I show when the player in on the edge, but the system already includes when the player gets hurt, etc.
Hope you like it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looking good! Definitely handles those edges nicely - well done Dani :slight_smile:

1 Like

I plan to keep posting little updates, at least meanwhile I’m able to.
In this last update I wanted to add some elements to make the game different and more funny, so I decided to add a new feature to weapons, shields and armatures. After using them they can get broken and you will need to repair them. See what happens when you lose your armor… You won’t like it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

lololol…

That’s great, love the humour… :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi guys!
In this las update I wanted to show how the inventory is working. It only has three slots, one for weapons, one for armors and one for shields. I wanted to keep the inventory really simple and friendly. I feel lots of options are always confusing. I want the player to have fun and make fast decisions, especially because as player you will be involved in lots of combats. Having a small inventory is simpler but requires the player making wise decisions.

You only have room for one item of each kind. Do you think it’s better keeping items with short lifetimes but stronger features or longer lifetimes with weaker features? That will be up to you :slight_smile: Try to keep alive meanwhile you make your decisions… and of course, remember where you left your items, you can always come back to re-equip them if you need them.

4 Likes

Looking really good Dani, the simplicity (from the player’s perspective) I think really suites the look and feel of the game. The little modals that pop up are great, communicate the item well.

One thought, can you currently drop items, or can you only replace them etc? I read what you said about remembering where your items are left because you can always come back and collect them - what if I wanted to hoard them under a tree for example, so I only had to remember the one spot? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Rob, you can’t actually drop items, they get replaced when you pick a new one. I was thinking on that possibility but I didn’t want to add so many functionalities to the inventory. All the programing is done, it will be so easy as adding a new button, or making the icon clickable, I will think about it… hehehe… Thanks so much for the feedback. I have my demo almost done, so you will be able to experience all of that really soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re very welcome Dani, it’s been fun to watch the updates and obviously very inspiring for everyone to see what is possible :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the demo!

1 Like

Hi Guys, I think this is going to be the last update before I release my demo.
I created a Spawner system to make my game more interesting, fun and perhaps difficult. I’m using a pool system to improve my performance for my Spawner system. This system revives a certain amount of enemies (let’s call it wave) that you already killed after “x seconds”, each time the system revives enemies the wave gets increased, so the longer you stay in the level, more enemies are spawned and bigger are the chances for you to die. Do you think the game should warn the player for each new wave?
More kills mean more experience and higher levels, which open new skills and spells …Will you be a fighter or a runner? Each decision you take defines your character :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love the lighting in that screenshot, and the expression on our hero, what a determined little guy :slight_smile:

Do you think the game should warn the player for each new wave?

Ooh, there’s an interesting question!

In a shoot 'em up I’d have gone with yes if it was a case of surviving wave after wave after wave. Your RPG, in my opinion, doesn’t feel like that though, it feels more about exploring and collecting, and a bit of battling on the way whilst getting to an endpoint, before moving on to the next area.

Would the player be aware of the increasing difficulty, enough to think, “hmmm, I need to get out of here”? I’m guessing they would be aware of the increasing experience/higher levels of just playing.

I think if you have only a message appear “Next wave…” it wouldn’t work, I’m not sure if you have other modals pop up for notification other than the inventory at the moment?

In Plants vs Zombies, for example, you get a little sound effect, “The zombies are coming…”, perhaps a few varying sound effects saying similar things, “Oh no! More enemies are approaching”, “Seriously, more skeletons!”, “I see dead people!” and so on, that could indicate, perhaps more subtly, a start of another wave of enemies, but without specifically referring to that event as a “wave”. It may help maintain the light-hearted/fun style that the rest of your game mirrors.

Of course, if you were going to have a game mode that was pure survival, for a selected level (could be fun), then indicating the next waves, perhaps via a similar modal to the inventory, would work really well.

1 Like

This is really an impressive work of you. Did you do all the things by yourself ?
Do you need some help with something ? If possible, i would like to support you, as i really like
the style, mood and feeling of your game :slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

@Rob I like the idea of communicating in a subtile way. Communicating something but without saying exactly what, just to have the player more aware that something is happening and keeping the mystery. I think it’s a great idea!
Thanks so much for taking the time and always giving so good feedback!
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you!
The game is coming all together thanks in part to you!

1 Like

@Manu_Scheller thanks so much for your kind words! Yes, I did all the work myself. Well, to be more exact, I bought some assets such as environment, music, effects… But I modeled my characters and enemies, developed all the code with the help of this tutorial and this great community, and designed the level, just me… It has been a long journey, but fun and gratifying :slight_smile:
By the moment I don’t need help, but thanks so much for offering. I will let you know if I feel I need more hands :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s really awesome work mate :slight_smile:
I’d be glad if i could help out someday :slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms