The Monkey King, new character

Thanks. No, I’m not applying subdivisions… The character will have fur and armor covering that area… but yes, there are other areas where low poly is noticeable and it’s not covered, the good news is the character is not supposed to be visible from that close, so it should be fine… I will check on game engine.

1 Like

Today I have been working on my textures and fixing the fur that was overlapping some areas of the armor and accessories… I think this step is almost done, so I will be moving forward to pose and start making weapons. What do you think about the texturing so far?

7 Likes

You are busy finalizing your project “The Monkey King”.

One characteristic has been worked out very clearly, the “Monkey”. Which is a great achievement!

But how do you see (workout) the other aspect “The King”?
How to give him the statue, the charisma of being “The King”?

Thanks! Well, our idea of a “King” es very different from the Asian/Hindu concept… I based my design on references of real people and how those cultures represent their royalty in their stories. I guess the difference between normal people and kings from that time was the materials of the sarongs, the jewelry and the precious metals used in their armors… which I tried to use in my design.

I always use references for my designs… I will post my Pure Reference board to show all the references I have been using :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is my Pure Reference Board
May be it can be helpful to somebody :slight_smile:

1 Like

… so it depends on the audience I think. My own vision is very narrowed I must say. Like western brainwashing!

1 Like

Fur, texturing looking great AND he gained a tail! :smiley:

Will it be possible to make the belts indent the body a bit like they were pulled tight? I only ask as you are so capable! It may not be practical for your end use intents especially if there is animated movement involved.

1 Like

Hi everyone, today I have been working on facial expression and pose.
The saliva material is working but I think it can be improved.
By the other hand, rendering with fur or without it changes so much the character… It looks more evil without it, isn’t it?

8 Likes

Great expression.

Well, ultimately your choice. I just wonder if lack of fur tilts it more to human? Which may be fine to your desires.

1 Like

Thanks! The final character has fur, I’m just testing different renders to see how it looks, the fur sometimes hides issues with anatomy, so it’s easy for me to check with out it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Inspired by the Balinese Culture this is my interpretation of Hanuman, The Monkey King. His weapon is a Keris, both weapon and spiritual object, the Keris is considered to possess magical powers. For this weapon is very important the blade, the handle and the sheath. And finally I added a plumeria flower in his ear, the plumeria is used in ceremonies and offerings. The white and red colors of the flower match the colors of the Indonesian flag.

11 Likes

Brilliant result, a lot of work.

2 Likes

I agree with @NP5 as this IS brilliant. I’m loving how much detail you put into this project, as it’s all paid off big time. :grinning:

3 Likes

@NP5 @Miss_B thanks so much for your kind words… I feel characters are never finished as we would like, but I think it’s time to move on to the next character :slight_smile:

3 Likes

fantastic to see the character progress and and awesome final result :slight_smile:
thank you for sharing the journey

3 Likes

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

That’s awesome!!!

1 Like

@FedPete that took me a long time, but I posted on my YouTube channel a tutorial explaining how I made the helmet and added the detail, if you are still interested, you can check it out here:

4 Likes

Still amazing work!
And yes, making a Youtube video is also hard work.
But than again you’ve learned something new.
Glad you shared your knowledge with us!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I’m glad it can be useful for other artists :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms