The Monkey King, new character

Great. Really busy and detailed. But why do the shoulder pads float so much above the shoulders?

1 Like

Thanks, I’m leaving some space for the fur… but those pieces can be easily moved down if the fur doesn’t take that much space :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! This week has been very slow process, I have been retopologyzing and baking my maps. It’s still a work in progress, I would like to optimize much more my models to lower the poly count, especially the helmet that is still crazy high. This is how it looks so far…

10 Likes

Hi! Today I have been working on optimizing the Helmet mesh. The High Poly was around 5,300,000, Mid poly at 78,000 and the final Low Poly at 27,000. Still very high for an accessory, but I don’t think I can’t get it lower without losing too much detail.

6 Likes

amazing quality!
And a lot of questions how you sculpt all the details.
3miljoen is the max on my machine with a slow reaction time.
great stuff!

1 Like

Thanks so much!!
Yes, please, ask any questions you can have…
Some details are sculpted, other details like the ones on the helmet are meshes that I distribute around the helmet using arrays, curves and the shrink modifier…
When I have a moment I can make a video explaining how I did it, it’s much easier than it looks :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have time, yes please do. We can all learn from it.
Personally, I try to sculpt some projects. But when it comes to details (more vertices) then hardware becomes a problem. Like using Multires, one-click (level) too much and a complete system halt. Blender is swapping memory to disk, slow disk, slow computer. Do not want to wait for how long to finish the action. So reset PC.

That’s why I’m amazed by your sculpting skills. It’s outstanding.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! For sculpting I use a lot Dyntopo, I try to add geometry only where I need it, usually the face and hands, the rest is very low poly. And I turn it on and off because to sculpt having it on is very laggy when there is a lot of resolution. After some sculpts I realized my computer can’t handle more than 5M, so I always try to keep my meshes below that number. I guess it’s part of learning how to work around our own technical limitations.
I will try to post a video as soon as possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I finally finished my low poly. I separated all my meshes by materials and I’m ready for texturing. I won’t spend a lot of time in the body because it will be mostly covered by fur.

4 Likes

First render of my low poly with maps in Substance Painter.

12 Likes

He has a wise expression

1 Like

wow!!

1 Like

Today I started to play with hair, I’m making my hair with “hair cards” … This is very early in the process but I think it’s a good start.

7 Likes

I fixed details in the hair and fur in the head and added the rest to the body. I feel there are some areas that need some work, especially some transitions from hairy to bald… Those are hard cards not hair particles.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Hair making good progress.

Does he have no tail?

What made me think of it was the helmet looks like it has a tail, of the wearer has a tail on the back of his head which may be an unexpected result of the chimera combination! :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Today I have been working on the pose, I’m not a rigger nor animator, so this is very challenging for me… So far I think this is the pose (or very similar) I’m going for… Next it’s going to be texturing in A-Pose, polish the pose and add some facial expression, and then create some cool weapons for this guy… still lots to do…

5 Likes

In the 2D Game Art class, we’re using this site, to sketch 2 min poses.
You can also search the web for poses … So it becomes more natural, instead of posing from the mind.

https://quickposes.com/en/gestures/challenges

3 Likes

I started to texture my character. Here are the first renders testing skin texturing…
I used Substance Painter for the textures and Marmoset for rendering.

7 Likes

left shoulder, highlighted area, low poly visible.
Are you going to apply subsurface …?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms