The IK movie

The physics engine refused to do its work unfortunately as I mentioned here Short before giving up on physics but nobody could help me out.

I rendered the movie now anyway, I guess you can see, what the original plan was anyway :wink:

I do like the IK part of that all - is really fun - but the unforeseeable bugs (can’t call it differently, tried for hours, in a new file, in this file - it just does not do what it is supposed to do) in the physics didn’t let me do what I wanted to do in this scene.

However, quite pleased with the IK results!
Here we go

4 Likes

Nice IK movie.I am currently at the beginning of armature introduction.I will try to help you after I complete the section If I can.I too want to introduce rigid bodies in my animation.It was an annoying task with the rigid bodies in the bowling ball section.I could only figure it out with help from NP5 though.So I can’t make any promises as I am a newbie.But I can try. Also did you try what NP5 and FedPete said?

3 Likes

Yes i tried, but with no luck. I will update the link I shared in the other thread with the latest version of this file (the version, that created this exact movie)

Thanks for trying!

EDIT: Link is updated, but here is it again, so you don’t need to search for it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kivurr0r9kvnmnm/lamp-scene.blend?dl=0

1 Like

Thank you. And I will message you if I have any luck with it after I complete the lamp section.

1 Like

I have spent a few hours trying to make it work and find out what is the problem but not been successful.

Hoping FedPete might look at it as he does more animating.
It seems you did not add the armature modifier to the lamp?
You have rigid body constraints on things, And oddly the lamp shade gives no option for a rigid body. It may be the parenting, only lets the highest level have the rigid body?

3 Likes

Thank you very much for trying it. Even not successful, at least I get the feeling that “I did not something very obv wrong” - maybe it’s a tricky problem with the object hierarchy, maybe it’s just a “side effect” of all the experiments and things that we have done to the lamp during the course (things like "now we could do that and that but we don’t need that now … ctrl-z,ctrl-z,ctrl-z… instead we do this here and here, then move that and… ctrl-z, …) you know what i mean.
maybe we just confused some of the internal structures, maybe its just the parenting.

i am very thankful that you tried!

3 Likes

I tried for the last five hours dude.But no luck.
When i checked your work

• There was no rigid body applied to any of the lamp parts(Some of them were rigid body constraints.)Some of the lamp parts were not applied scale.The lamp shade was not a mesh object(You have to convert curve to mesh.)

So I decided to check everything.Applied all modifiers.Applied rigid bodies.But it still did not work.
So I added two cubes and a plane with physics properties into the file.The two cubes did perform according to physics properties with each other.But the lamp is not considering the cubes as rigid bodies.It just went through the cubes.Your lamp has too many parts, more than the number of bones.

So in order to test my theory I added my lamp in your file. To my surprise my lamp was a giant compared to yours. I think your scale is too low(I am not sure if that is the problem either.)
So here are my suggestions.

1. Try to make an exact model as Mike made(Same scale as mike too) in the course and test if it works with a rigid body(a simple cube and plane) (Try this before you reach the vertex group lecture(149)).
    Try if it works before creating vertex groups and re rigging the lamp.
    (Because mine did not work after i created vertex groups,applied armature modifier and re rigged.I have no idea why though.)
    And before testing You HAVE to apply rigid body to each part of the lamp(And tick the animated option in the physics properties because if you don’t parts will fall off.)

This is the way I did my lamp though, and i am certainly not an expert.

2 Likes

Oh my… soo much time :open_mouth:

I can’t say how thankful I am that you tried so hard!
I don’t know whether I should feel kind of “happy” … or “convinced” would be a better word here, that there is really something going on with the model, and it was not a plain misunderstanding from me, regarding the physics.

Somehow I have messed this up - too bad, I would’ve really enjoyed seeing the lamp pushing that bowling ball down the ramp - but it’s ok - No, I won’t restart this from scratch, but I have my lesson learned here.
Small steps, try often, fail early.

Regarding “too many parts, more than bones” → yes, this file is from a state of the lectures before the rigging and vertex groups were made.

Oh - and, if I may - I want to leave a little feedback here on exact that lecture with the bones and rigging - this lecture has so many cuts and steps in it, it seems, while recording it, many things went wrong and it appears to be made of many…many tries - So just from a quality look at this course (and this course has FANTASTIC QUALITY!! I learned so much - so well explained!) - but from a quality view, this lecture has by far the least quality because of so many cuts and restarts. I think, it’s a candidate to re-record that 15 minutes, because it is so clearly under-quality compared to the rest of this awesome course. and as it is one of the most important (and complex) lectures so far - I think it would be worth it.
kind regards
Mike

1 Like

Privacy & Terms