The 'fun' with physics thingy

So, I’m using Blender 3.0 in Linux and have no idea if that has anything to do with anything, but although I have scrupulously followed all the clicks and selections - five times on two different set-ups (I made a fresh one just to be sure), when I hit the play button (spacebar) the ball rolls up to the tenth frame and stops. I moved the frame past the pin (that was set up as a Rigid Body and all the rest) so that the ball would stop after the pin. It did stop after the pin, after ignoring the pin completely. Just went straight through it. I’m guessing the physics isn’t kicking in… Help! Has anyone else had this and how did they fix it? What am I doing wrong and/or what am I missing?

1 Like

Did you ask about this problem before?
Because a user had a similar question on this forum.
So, you could try to search for this.

• Please provide a full screenshot. Use MAIN MENU > WINDOWS > Save screenshot with appropriate panels open.
  • Although people are watching carefully the mouse click and keyboard hotkeys. Try to see the functionality behind it. Because it’s very easy to miss something obvious. Or have an option, switched on/off, because some experimentation took place.
  • Check options like active and passive objects
  • Do you use physics?
  • Also which Blender version are you using?

I’m using blender 3.0 in linux. I took a screen shot three different ways including the Blender way and they all came out nicely, but won’t upload to this box except in string form. The picture shows the ball about a pin length from the pin while on the frame box it shows it at well beyond that (90). On the left of the frame box there is what I think is the dope sheet: on red background Summary, on lt blue in orange Ball, on dk blue in grey BallAction, on dk green in orange Object Transforms fllwd by the mod symbol, a checked box and an open cadenas, and finally on dk grey in orange Kinematic (Rigid Body Object) with the same symbols as the previous line. In the physics section, for the ball: Rigid Body, Active, 10kg, Dynamic and Animated check on green background. I set this all up using a fresh plane and appended ball and pin from another set-up. I’ll understand if trying to figure this out without the picture is not an option. So thanks for your help so far.

1 Like

You need to have the physics, dynamics, turned on so it takes over when the animation by hand movement is turned off.

It is a bit tricky but close attention to the lecture in this area should sort it out.

Images just drag and drop from a file browser into the text entry box here it should be no problem.

1 Like

Turning on the physics : turning off animation after placing the markers; and dynamics is the box is checked, right? I think I understand the concept, but not why it isn’t working.
As for dragging and dropping, all that comes from that is the file location string, but no image. Ditto for uploading.

1 Like

What file type are the images? Perhaps that is the issue? Basic Jpg uploads fine. Video will not, but can be uploaded to YouTube An linked to here.

Perhaps it is a browser issue. Basic Chrome works for me.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s the browser (firefox). I tried jpg and png. It just picks up the location, not the actual file/image. Been one of those days, hahahahaha!
I re-started the whole set up, using a simple sphere, a simple cyclinder, a simple plane, once again followed meticulously, step by step and still the same problem. The main one at the moment is that the ball doesn’t just zip along but stops at the first marker. I’ll compare the info on your shots to my screen and perhaps find a difference. Spot the x differences, hahahaha! Thanks for your help.

1 Like

well, that’s been interesting. The ball stood stock still while the plane dropped. It was the moment the ball was supposed to drop off the passive plane. Didn’t work so I clicked active for the plane and it fell beautifully and as it passed the ball, they combined and dropped together. Eventually, the latest, is that the ball starts sort of rolling around when the frame indicator gets to around 100… just sort of rolls around in a small area. The markers are at 1 and 10. It’s been interesting… Tomorrow, new ball, new plane. I’ve not been bothering with a pin - too advanced for me, hahahahahaha!

1 Like

For the image issue with Linux specifically, drag and drop to add images does not work for any browser. It really does just link the disk location of the file. I haven’t found a work around for that yet, but I’m still trying.

You can click the image icon in the top bar of your topic or reply and add it from your device using the Choose files button.

As far as the physics go, I’m not too sure, but it sounds like a collision or friction issue.

1 Like

Hmmm, the latest Firefox is my go-to browser, and I don’t have issues uploading to this forum, though I only upload JPGs. I only save to PNG if I want a transparent background.

1 Like

Can you provide the .blend file from somewhere?

I think you’ve tried many combinations, but somehow missed the correct configuration!!

• Make the appropriate object passive or active.
  • Switch animation Off at the correct moment and switch physics on at the right moment.
  • Passive and active objects must have a small margin
  • The location of the origin point is of importance
1 Like

I think the main problem is that the ball won’t roll beyond the second marker. I set up a plane 1mx6m (RB), set up a ball 0.10m (set Origin to 3D, Geometry to Origin, Origin to Centre of Mass (volume), placed the ball along the x axis 2.4m away, Rigid Body Active, 10kg, Animated, did the little test where the ball falls through the plane and it did. Set the plane to Passive. Did the little test and the ball does not fall off so moved it closer to the edge and still did not fall off. I’m guessing that is not a good sign. However, I forged on and selected the ball, hit ‘I’, rotation/location/scale, hovered over the animated check box and hit ‘I’ again, then moved the marker to frame 10, Gx’d the ball to about a meter forward, ‘I’ RLS, clicked on the Animated box, moved the marker back to 1, hit play and the ball rolls to the tenth frame marker and stops. I have tried all the permutations of all of these settings, and got the ball to only roll around for a little bit but never to roll past the 10 marker. I have tried clicking on Dynamic so it has the same indicator on the right, but it makes no difference to how far the ball rolls. What am I missing? any ideas?

1 Like

If you can’t add images then FedPete’s suggestion is the only way we might look at it. Upload the file somewhere we can get it to look it over.

At frame 10, you have set a keyframe for “Animated” for the ball rigid body. Is it checked or unchecked for that frame?

PS: I finally solved adding an image to posts in Linux. You just copy/paste, it was so simple this whole time. Just copy the image, click in where you’re typing and paste.

Yes, I just found that out. I could’ve sworn that was my first option yesterday… mind slowly turning to mush in the blender, hahahaahah! Anyway, here is the image for

About the the Animated checkbox, as he says in the tutorial, I click it off (checkmark disappears and box goes brown), press play, the ball rolls to the tenth frame and stops - the Animated box is still orange until I hit stop or the spacebar and then it goes back to white arrow on green background as seen in the image.

On the plus side, last time I put the pin in the path of the ball - so before the tenth frame, it knocked over the pin and the ball stopped at 10. The pin flew out of sight. I think that is good news.

And this is with Dynamics involved. Seems to make no difference except for extra indicators at first frame. Indicators not present on 10th frame.

Just found out something: if I click on Rigid Body in the properties physics area, for the pin, and then put the pin in the ball’s path, the ball just goes through the pin as if it is not there. However, if I delete that Rigid Body and then add it from the Object menu, as an Active Rigid Body, the ball collides with it and sends it flying.

Found a new (to me) section. Looks important…

Ok, last post. Well, I’ll try. Latest discovery: when I set the plane to active, the ball just rolled along to its normal tenth frame, while the pin fell through the plane. So, I would guess that the ball is not in the same movie as the rest of the parts. All it does is roll from frames 1 to 10 and nothing else exists for it. So, how do I bring it into the same place as the other two elements? Collection?

So from the looks of it, the solution should be to have Animated checked on and keyframed at frame 1, then unchecked and keyframed at frame 10. Animated on means it’s using the RLS keyframes to move, off and the Rigid Body physics take over for the rest of the animation.

I believe you just have not set the Animated keyframe for frame 10 to turn it off and that’s why it keeps resetting when you play through and stop the animation.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms