The Blender Collab: Week 34 "What are you afraid of?"

Just looked at the poll builder for probably the first time in 2 or 3 years. While the Multiple choice option would be the best for simple placement (ie: 1st, 2nd, 3rd) my thinking is it would take multiple polls to pick anything more meaningful than, “Which do you like best?”

(tried experimenting with building different poll types and couldn’t get the kind of poll I was thinking about.)

Yes it looks like it. If you could put that type of poll on each entry then people vote out of 5 for every submission and each image has an average score. I don’t know if that system is better or not.

1 Like

How about simply two polls - one about best technique and the other about … most original or something? I don’t know ^^ This time, we don’t have that many entries yet anyways :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I’m personally fine with that.

Similar to what @FedPete did on some of his Collab’s.

2 Likes

Last week I saw the Biggest. Spider.

More Info

The spider is low poly and not super well textured because working with it for that small amount of time made me ill.

The siding on the house is an original seamless texture that I photographed and exported in photoshop. The chipped paint is procedural. Leaves and the brick texture are downloaded.

12 Likes

Elements

19 Likes

Here’s my entry for this week:

With more time I would add a lot of details, but then again maybe the general emptiness works in this case;I certainly would have improved the textures.

12 Likes

I love the coloring and look of those waves!! Did you use fluid simulation or model it?

Thank you! I tried to be close to the reference. So I used just sculpting and some vertex paint.) And my main waves are translucent with vertex paint, and underneath are white parts of their doubles.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the awesome entries. I didn’t get a chance to work on something myself, as is was preoccupied with other stuff. (And I couldn’t decide on what to do - creepy doll or fear of failing life?)

As for the poll, I decided to stay with the “usual” for now. The next winner is very welcome to change it, if they want to :slight_smile:

There’s only one rule: don’t vote for yourself. :face_with_monocle:
Aside from that rule, you can choose the parameter to judge the entries, some possibilities:

• best embodies the theme
  • most colorful
  • funny
  • technically advanced
  • realistic

WARNING: Clicking on any of these images counts as a vote that cannot be undone. Please scroll up to see full-rez versions.

PS: My “other stuff” this week (WIP) ^^

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your method. It surely looks great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, - I used a great reference!

3 Likes

This happened to me a while ago, during the heat.
My server shutting down automatically because of the internal heat.

2 Likes

Sorry for Late Submission…

11 Likes

@Capricas_Kirito I voted for you​:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::raised_hands:

1 Like

Good entries! I’m sad I haven’t been able to make anything these past few weeks; I’ve been really busy with work. Stupid real world getting in the way. I love what you guys have made. Hope I can join you again soon!

@Blest a really cool take on a classic inspiration. I recognized it instantly, and I like how you digitized it.

@Leon_V truly terrifying, every time I’m in a plane which hits a patch of turbulence I can’t help but picture this until I’m safely on the ground.

@Enodes This is kind of a sneaky fear. I think maybe we don’t appreciate our digital media libraries while we have them. We used to have physical photo albums, now it’s all hard drives!

@Capricas_Kirito It is a terrifying example of staring into the void of the inevitable. How have you dealt with this knowledge that you may eventually go blind? Sorry if that is too sensitive a question. Feel free to ignore it.

3 Likes

This week I was really torn between @Digitz’s, @Leon_V’s, and @Enodes’ entries. I think all three of you did an excellent job of capturing the essence of not just an individual fear, but rather a societal fear. In the end, I decided to go with Digitz’s entry as I feel it really captures the essence of what so many people around the world have been feeling for the past few months.

Thank you.

Learning about the eventuality at an early age meant that it really didn’t mean a lot to me. So I’ve had a lot of time to come to terms with that. Of course, technology for glasses and contact lenses has come a long way since that first diagnosis and they’ve helped push the time-frame back by allowing the doctors to give me more powerful prescriptions than I could have gotten in the '80s. All this means that it has only been in the last few years that I have had to start coming to terms with how going blind will affect my daily life. and so far, I’ve dealt with that through large helpings of denile (it’s not just a river in Egypt).

4 Likes

This is not a Collab entry or even a late entry!
But I had this idea while working on another project.
It looked funny and fits the “What are you afraid of?” subject.

150 needles …

15 Likes

Ouch!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms