The Blender Collab: Week 31 “Aliens”

Here is my submission.

This is a vertex based life form (it’s like silicon based life forms… but not at all), it is called “Default Cube”, this species is endangered because people don’t care about it, they just go to the natural habitat of this amazing creature and destroy it, Why? Who knows… people just don’t seem to care about this defenseless creature at all, some people even destroy it and then replace it with a creature that is exactly like it, but… it’s not the same… it’s never the same.

Default Cube lives matter! Stop the endless fields of destroyed Default Cubes!

11 Likes

I think the low poly method you used works, but maybe just needs a little adjustment. For example, maybe more overlapping icospheres for the bottom, billowing cloud part could make it look more turbulent like smoke. Just an idea.

With low-poly, it doesn’t have to look exactly like the thing, it just has to look enough like the thing to represent it, right? I think you and @Ethan_Martinez, and some others have done a lot of these low poly scenes, so you probably know better than me, but that’s how I understand it at least.

@NP5 That’s quite a fleet! Are they original designs? They have really interesting, almost organic shapes. The one at top center looks familiar but I can’t place it. I also like the detail you’ve got on there. It’s worth a zoom to check it out. It might be nice to have one ship even larger/closer to the camera to appreciate all the detail you put in there, but that would change the whole composition of your image, so I don’t know if you’d want to do that.

@raazeus Awesome alien robot! Really nice render too. I like the depth, lighting, and glare. Nice model too, and the eye is especially intriguing. The floor is a bit flat, but you’ll learn some things to help that later in the course. If you happen to have a height map image, a quick fix would be to throw a displacement modifier on there.

@Jaco_Pretorius Wow nice xenomorph! That’s no simple model, and you nailed it. The darker one is definitely better.

@Yee It’s tragic really. Thank you for bringing this worthy cause the attention it deserves. #StopTheCube-icide :laughing:

4 Likes

My Submission:
space-ship-main-animation5xtralq

More Info

Scaled down to a size that I can post on here. This project was a true test. I had torus emitters spinning on a loop and “vanishing” into planes at different alpha levels. I put together a compositer setup to denoise the ship while preserving the stars. Overall a really great challenge.

I would like to get a high quality, full size version up somewhere soon.

Still Version:

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: yes, stop abusing them !

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I didn’t participate in the last collabs, because I’m working on other projects. And one (of many) is an animation (I like animations) about an alien. All the props I need to use in the animation I already have and were parts of other projects. So RE-USE is the key, but a bad decision.
I wanted to use Eevee for its speed. But not all objects and scene (build for cycles) are not suitable for animations also.
A lesson learned and in the future, I need to cleanup projects, to be more suitable for re-use.

The movie clip below, it not my current version because I don’t want to give away too much of the story. But I thought it was a nice addition to this weekly challenge. And maybe it will inspire others.

It is not my intention to participate in this challenge! Just a dirty, WIP, a preview of a project which I don’t think I will finish soon.

Have fun, go create something …

13 Likes

really awesome this week!

2 Likes

I permanently erased the existence of default cube species, cause i couldn’t see defaultcubicide .
Btw nice point.

4 Likes

Poll!
There’s only one rule: don’t vote for yourself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aside from that rule, you can choose the parameter to judge the entries, some possibilities:

• best embodies the theme
  • most colorful
  • funny
  • technically advanced
  • realistic

The poll ends on 2020-08-25T10:00:00Z

3 Likes

I think this might be our best week yet. Nice job everyone. Good topic choice, @Blest !

4 Likes

It was so difficult to choose one this week. Good job everyone. Lets take this to next level in upcoming week.

3 Likes

No problem, I didn’t participate this week !

There are a lot of good models this week and it was a very hard choice. Normally I like to pick the person who best encompasses the weeks theme combined with Artistic composition. This week I think the honors go to @Jaco_Pretorius for “Xenomorph Holding Child Drawing”

Honorable mentions from me (in no particular order):

• @Sblendid with “Unruley Children”, not sure why but this reminds me of Lilo & Stitch.
  • @niladri_ghosh with “Farming Troubles”.
  • @Blest with “Friendly Visitors”, now why does this put me in mind of another Disney Movie?
  • @Leon_V with “Alien Headhunters”, that poor lady.
  • @Sahil_Nain with “Alien Patrol seeks Farmer”.
  • @Tyger2 with “Watchers in the Sky”, actually I liked the first render of this one the best.
  • @FedPete with his animation (I’m not gonna name it for him)
7 Likes

11 Likes

I will sometimes keep the default cube, but other times… the fields will grow.

1 Like

I agree with @Tyger2 this may be the best week we’ve done so far! Awesome submissions but I ultimately decided on @Flavio_Paniconi’s submission, really nice textures (especially on the alien itself, very realistic) as well as great lighting.

4 Likes

When is the last date for submission ?

Sorry, it was 2 days ago… :rofl:
Don’t worry, new collab should be announced some time today and will have a submission deadline a week from now.

Oh man… I only found out about it yesterday :sweat_smile:

Looks like @Jaco_Pretorius takes the :trophy::1st_place_medal: this week, with @Sblendid close behind taking the :2nd_place_medal:, and a tie between @Flavio_Paniconi and @niladri_ghosh for the :3rd_place_medal: .

Nicely done everybody, and congrats @Jaco_Pretorius!

8 Likes

Privacy & Terms