The Blender Bi-Monthly Project: Month 1 (September - October 16)

Nice!

I suggest doing the jewels materials realistically (glass but with a different IOR for different jewels (you can google the values) i dont know if you did that :slight_smile: for example emerald is 1.57 what did you put in there? (here is an emerald) (of course not an entry just an example)

ps.
how did you put the coins is it a particle system? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually used real IOR values, from Wikipedia, and also added a dispersion in there, so that red,green and blue wavelengths have slightly different IOR values (it’s most visible in the diamond). I used this tutorial as a basis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sk6RFcORd0 .
To get the coins and gems where they are I put passive rigid body physics on the chest, map and sand, and active rigid body physics on the gems and coin, then duplicated the coin lots of times, bunched them together above the chest (when the lid was fully open) and overlapped a few of them, so that when the animation starts they “explode” out due to the rigid body physics and put the gems above them, to make sure they landed on top. Then I hit play and waited for it to settle, the gem and coins on the map and sand naturally landed where they are, then I closed the lid to the position in the picture. I cheated a bit by not making the inside of the chest as deep as it should be, so that I didn’t need to use quite so many coins as I would have needed otherwise.

3 Likes

Hey guys. With this project actually ending tomorrow, and only three submissions to mark the event, I’ve been asked by a couple of people to extend the submission window.

As such; this theme and the Monthly Project itself is extending to take up the entirety of October as well. People who have already submitted are challenged to submit another, as well; multiple submissions are alright, as long as you’ve put a lot of work into it!

I am sorry for those who have submitted that wanted to create for a new topic, but at least now those who are still working on their project have a bit more of a window now. It also gives our newer users some time to really participate.

Please remember that collaboration and co-operation is encouraged! Advertise here if you have an idea and need a texturer/animator/modeler to help create some assets. I hope to see a heap of great submissions for our first monthly event! And for those who have uploaded, so much work went into those models, so a congratulations is in order. As already stated, feel free to rethink the theme and make another submission for us!

3 Likes

Or you can make you submission better (who submitted)

1 Like

Hay yeah, Cool idea!

2 Likes

Is sticking with mine since lots of hours already put into it :smile_cat: If I spend anymore time on it will never have time to do the course work. Already stymied with the Weekly not to mention sick a few days this week ! But…

,Yay…I look forward to seeing more postings from others! So extend the time!

I had a friend who worked at customs and the process of recovering smuggled goods was called ‘treasure hunting’ by him and his team. I hope I don’t offend anyone with my scene. It is certainly not my intention.
I call it ‘Dimonds in poop’ …

3 Likes

Well… As long as you worked hard on it.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a bit of a hard one.

1 Like

I modelled everything myself except the diamonds.

I had a problem during rendering, i can render with my GPU, so the clip is very short

Money can’t buy happiness

15 Likes

thats really awesome! :smiley:

Given the extended deadline I thought I’d add some sandcastles

6 Likes

Well that’s certainly a unique interpretation of the topic. Lol

How about a rapier or a scimitar in the sand? Argh, matey.

what GPU and Blender version are you using? If it’s an NVidia 10 series card and you’re using Blender 2.77 or lower then upgrade to 2.78 and it’ll work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, i’ll try the 2.78, i look on monday but it wasn’t here :wink:

Wow, this is so cool!

@Aapef, That is really well done!

It’s been a release candidate for over a month now, but it looks like it’s an official release now https://www.blender.org/download/

Privacy & Terms