The Big Hello Thread!

HI, I’m James. I work in web/mobile development in Brisbane, Australia where I manage a mid-sized agency. My professional background is in Java, mainly in large government and banking systems, and I’m a mentor at CoderDojo.

I’m currently enrolled in Ben’s Complete Unity Developer, Unity Certification and VR courses, and my kids (11 and 8) are running through them as well. We have formed an indy studio - Ninja Chimp Studios - and are working on a Unity game called Space Clash as well as some smaller, toes-in-the-water style games, including a Cardboard-based shooter.

Thanks @ben for the excellent courses, and for the work you’re doing building a community. And congrats on the new forum, it’s night and day to the old one.

4 Likes

Hello all. I’m in the United States and am currently enrolled in the Complete Unity Developer and Complete Blender Creator courses (I recently purchased the course dedicated to passing the Unity certification exam, but I’m not starting that at least until I finish the CUD course). My development aspirations are to use the skills/experience I obtain in these and potentially other courses to begin establishing a portfolio of game-related work in order to either improve my potential hire-ability down the line (since I have the opportunity to identify and develop my specialty or specialties) or facilitate the creation of my own studio.

2 Likes

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

4 Likes

Hi everybody! I’m Davide from Pavia, Italy. I’m a web developer and I subscribed fpr Blender course and Unreal/C++ course.
I’m also the founder of BroadCode, a community born to put in practice Ben’s teachings by creating a community-driven videogame. I’m glad I met a lot of enthusiastic people who are helping me with this idea.
My plans in game developement? Creating an indie software house, so I can work on what I like most.

3 Likes

Hello there !

I am Sorin and I am currently living in the UK. I came to the UK to study Computing and this community is an asset to my learning process. I am enrolled on the Unity, Blender and Unreal courses, but I only had time to start the Unity course, which I very much enjoy.

@ben , the community you have created is amazing and I really appreciate what you are doing. I am yet to enroll on the Game Physics course, but that moment is most certainly going to come after I finish the Unity course. I couldn’t help but notice the video you posted on Facebook with you unboxing the Oculus Rift…so I cannot help but ask you, could we have some content related to VR? I would love to see that !
(P.S: I don’t know if it’s already out there in your courses, because I’ve just started the Unity course, so sorry if that’s the case. I am anxious to learn everything about it.)
Other than that, I am happy to be here and I am sure this community will be amazing, as everything else that you are doing :smile: .

2 Likes

Hi @sorinpav, yes the VR course alread has Oculus content, and we are adding more devices soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Found it. Yes, sorry for that. Wishlisted, I’m waiting to finish the Unity course. Exciting times ahead. Thank you for everything.

2 Likes

Hey Everyone.
Name’s Mo’tasem im from jordan.
i am at the Unity Course(nearly finishing bowl master) and the Blender Course.(just starting) and im at the VR course(i’ll start it once i complete whats in my hands :slight_smile: )
my dreams are well… just like everyone else here, to make games :slight_smile: i have quite the nice ideas (or at least as i dream about them) and i want them to end up in games.
my final goal is to make an RTS game on the level of Red Alert 2. it will take years, but im up for the trip :heart:

3 Likes

Hello, I’m Shutchon.
I live in Thailand.
I enrolled on the Blender course, the Unity course, the Physics course, Blender course and will enrol the Unreal course soon.
In Thailand, there is no course like these. If I find it, the cost of the course will be overpriced. Luckily, I have found Ben’s courses. But there is the language barrier because English is not my native language and I am poor in it. I will try my best to learn English. Since I want to learn the game programming.
I have been interested in the video game since I was young. My Famicom (NES in the US) is the best console for me. Because it makes me love the video game. Even though I had played dos game as well. However, in Thailand, the games are dominated by the Japanese games. So… when I was playing RPG game; final fantasy, dragon quest etc. I did not know what the characters in game talk about. Though I can finish it. I play them until I can understand Japanese a little bit. Then, I take the classes for the Japanese language. I mean the video game give me the ambition to drive through the problems. As recently, I just try to create my 2D platformer which has used the knowledge from taking the Unity course.
I interested in RPG and simulation games like fallout, sims series etc. Because I play them and I feel it is fun more than other kinds of games.

I hope after in few years, I will be able to create some brilliant games.
I enjoy learning these courses. So far so good.

4 Likes

Your written English is fantastic! Perhaps using the closed captions will help?

2 Likes

Hello!

I’m James Nye from Vermont, USA, we refer to our region as New England. :wink:

I’m enrolled currently in the Unreal and Blender course. I reached the previous end of the Unreal course(Before the latest round of Battle Tank updates) and since have started to learn Blender. I come from a 3DS Max background, but haven’t touched modeling in over 15 years, so I figured this is a great time to pick it up again.

As for my aspirations, I don’t really have any in the industry, but as a teacher I know my college is struggling to keep people interested in programming courses. I was thinking that if I could find a way to move beyond the bland and boring Hello World! apps that most intro courses teach, maybe I could help re-inspire some future game devs.

I’m very much an idea type of person who likes to start a project, but moves on to something more interesting before I finish it. I mostly just like to play around and explore/reverse engineer other projects.

1 Like

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

1 Like

Cool, congratulations on your initiative!

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Alex from Oxfordshire in the UK! I’m enrolled on the unity, blender, physics and unreal courses and am looking forward the VR one when I can afford to get a headset!

I’m totally a hobbyist, I don’t really expect to make the next mine craft or anything like that, my enjoyment comes from solving problems (of which programming and game development seem to provide plenty!) and making something that I can show to people.

I really enjoy atmospheric horror games so I’d love to make something that I can only play for ten minutes at a time! For now while I’m learning I’m happy playing with little 2D games in unity, but I’ve already had thoughts about the room escape in unreal becoming a little more dark!!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Michal. I originally come from Poland, but I moved to London couple years back.

Currently I am working as web developer (some front-end, mostly back-end, a little of server stuff), but the game making ignited my IT path when I was young.

I am enrolled on all Ben’s courses at the moment :slight_smile: but I have not started any yet really, as I am forcing my way closer to technology stack I am familiar with (phaser.io). That was easier for me to get some game dev basics, workflow, game design, leaving Unity/Unreal for a future (meanwhile I am going to start Blender soon).

I am hardcore strategy (turn-based, 4X, RTS) fan, but I like RPGs as well.

See you around!

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m Barrie. Originally from Yorkshire, England I lived in Stockholm, Sweden for 6 years and now live in San Francisco, California.

I work as a Producer for a large video game publisher and have worked on some of the biggest name franchises in the industry as well as some of the lesser known ones during my 19 years in the games industry.

I started with Ben’s Unity course, then picked up Blender and Michael’s Sketchup courses and now the Unreal Engine course. My goal is to expand my technical knowledge and build on my University C++ know-how which was so long ago I forgot most of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi My name Ben 22 years old from Israel.
I’m a student in one of the first’s video game development program in Israel. I started to do after school Projecte’s with Ben’s unity course but right now my goal is to take the semester break here in Israel and focuse on studding unreal c++ programming

1 Like

Hi mates!
I’m Xavier from Spain. I’m in the Unity and the Unreal courses. I have almost finished the Unity course (before the last 2 games were added), so I will try to complete it this summer and then start with the Unreal course.

I have some ideas for some games, but I haven’t got time to start any of them. I would like to develop games with multiplayer support, social features, focused to mobile devices, smart TVs, and VR!

I work mainly with JavaScript and PHP, but I have worked with Java, Android, C# and Swift. On the artistic side, I have some experience with Maya LT, but just to be able to work on my prototypes!

See you!
Xavier García

2 Likes

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

1 Like

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms