Text101 : The Wild Wild Zombie West

Hi all!

Just sharing my first text game created via the lecture of Text 101 in the Unity course.
Kinda went overboard and did a semi-huge design, added music, and a bg picture (googled both cause what i tried to do on my own didnt work :slight_smile: )

This is the game: https://sharemygame.com/@xDekels/the-wild-wild-zombie-west

And this is a small image of part of the design in draw.io:

It was REALLY fun!

Would love some crazy feedback

Thanks,

xDe.

1 Like

@xDekels It was very enjoyable! It’s been almost 2 weeks and I can’t believe I am the first to reply. I loved the game, the options and story was well laid out which gave the player to think about his next possible actions.

Now I am itching to make an elaborate TextAdventure game as well.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your kind words !!! :slight_smile:

I always had a thing for text adventures, it was the first type of game i ever played i think 25 years ago lol, would love to see what you can come up with.
The toughest part in my opinion is just designing the actual storyline, and the options… i could have gone forever, but i had to say stop at some point, gotta leave something for part two :wink: (also, a lot of my projects, related to gaming or not, are usually stopped half way because i get dragged into details, i just give up and never finish… so i just wanted to finish this one already !)

Thanks again! :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Yes I can relate to that. I actually started this course back in July 2017 but then left after Text101 section was over. I made this at that time.

You can play it here: https://th3evilgamer.itch.io/cave-of-hope (Would Appreciate if you leave a comment on itch)

But I had re-envisioned my goals with this course and hence got back. I have a few new ideas and hopefully will them them working soon.

@AnimeshShaw that was beautiful, I really enjoyed that :slight_smile:
I think i got all possibilities checked!
i loved how:

You used different keys such as “L” for left , “R” for right, or “F” for forward, that was great!
The background music fits perfectly.
Where did you get those images? they were very supportive of the story, you basically see what is written below.

Why did you stop after the Text101 section back in 2017 if i may ask?
I’m currently finishing the space Laser defenders one, i have some Unity history but this course has taught me A LOT of things i didnt know… its one of the best courses i’ve ever done in uDemy.

You can absolutely feel the detail and fun you put into this. Fantastic work.
I had some smal problems with a few states that seemed to be wired up wrong. But all in all a brillant piece of art :wink:

@BantramFidian i’m sure you for some problems with the states :slight_smile: my original design was actually pretty big, but at some point i ended up just cutting things out, there was supposed to be a huge storyline behind the woman in the infirmary, or the zombie scratch, and some damage counters for the shotgun bullets… that didnt make the final cut lol
I moved some things around, and i tried my best to keep everything intact , had around 20 playthroughs that fixed things… but, didnt really bother to give it to friends or family for testing :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you so much for your kind words!!! i appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback.

Finding the images was difficult to be honest. Once I had my GDD ready I knew the kind of assets I am going to need so I searched for all the places where I am get royalty free licenses to images. I think I got them from Pixabay, deviantart freepik maybe, I don’t exactly remember. Audio I got from OpenGameArt I guess.

I stopped taking the course mostly due to work and other priorities, my profession with being a hardcore technical person where as game development was more artistic than being technical. It was kind of hampering my work and chain of thoughts. Also I wasn’t sure if in future I will ever do game development hence quit and reset my priorities to technical areas more. I bought the course originally just to evaluate since my brother was very much into gaming so I thought I will evaluate and gift him this course. I ended up loving it myself. After three whole years I have started again because I am getting wiser (:laughing:) and thought that maybe pursing this passion for Game development as a future career option wouldn’t be that bad and hence I resumed this course and hoping that in the next 3 years I will be able to be a much better game developer and quit my job to do full time GameDev.

Privacy & Terms