[Game] "Cave Of Hope" - Text Adventure Game

Hi,

After completing Section 3 I ended making this game. I hope you enjoy it and would love to get your feedback. The Following is my GDD:

The above also contains the Game Flow and different options we have.

##Live Demo:

https://projects.animeshshaw.com/unity-projects/caveofhope/

Code

I have made the project OpenSource and if anybody of you have some suggestions let me know by creating a new issue. I already a few features planned like AutoTyping effect.

Project Link: https://github.com/AnimeshShaw/CaveOfHope-Text-Adventure-Game

Download Release: https://github.com/AnimeshShaw/CaveOfHope-Text-Adventure-Game/releases/tag/v1.1-Beta

I would like to thank @wcoltd for some hints he gave me here though I ended up writing my own versions and making it in a different way.

I have had problems with autotying effect which I mentioned here but unfortunately I haven’t got any feedback as of yet.

Update: v1.1 Released

CHANGELOG

1. Minor Fixes to Story Text
  2. Project now hosted on a sub-domain.
4 Likes

Holy cow! This was really great! Great job with this. A++.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. But still only if I could have made that AutoTyper work properly I would be much more satisfied :blush:

Okay the auto type is a little complicated You need two bools firstReturn and isTyped. And if you want to use the same key for the auto fill you need something called a “key switch”. If you make sure the key press for items is not the same as the key to fill in the auto type text, you won’t need a key switch.

if (myState == States.intro && firstReturn == true || Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Return) && firstReturn == true || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightArrow) && firstReturn == true || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftArrow) && firstReturn == true || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.UpArrow) && firstReturn == true || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.DownArrow)&& firstReturn == true)
    {   
        i = 0;
        firstReturn = false;
    }
    if (isTyped == false && firstReturn == false)
    {
        for (i=0; i < message.Length; i++)
        {

currentText = message.Substring(0, i);
            this.GetComponent<Text>().text = currentText;
            if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Return)&& keySwitch != lastBool)
            {

lastBool = keySwitch;
                i = message.Length - 1;
                currentText = message.Substring(0, i);
                this.GetComponent<Text>().text = currentText;
                startKeyTimer = true;

}
            if (i >= (message.Length-1))
            {
                iDiff = 0;
                lastBool = keySwitch;
                isTyped = true;

startKeyTimer = true;
                print("isTyped == true");
                i = message.Length;
            }
            yield return 0;
1 Like

@wcoltd Thanks a lot. I pretty much guessed a similar approach but I was look for a more non-blocking method of doing this switching. Something like a Thread will run to type the text and main game thread is separate, and unless the child thread autotyper stops and then the game continues.

Great Job @AnimeshShaw! I really enjoyed your game and this kinda postmortem showing the Flowchart is pretty helpful.
Thanks for sharing it @wcoltd.

Hope to share a cool game w/ you soon.

Nice job!

Fun game and fantastic presentation. Next time I share I will definitely lay things out like this.

@BCMaia Thanks a lot. Really Appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I made the flowchart as elaborative as possible and also tried to include the game logic. This part I found a bit lacking but still, I was able to understand it well hence I created the entire game skeleton more vividly.

@Sean_Kelly Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you find my presentation useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dude you totally read my mind! This is exactly what I envisioned for this type of project and you hit the nail on the head. I love how you incorporated an image for the items that are picked up and the music was a great touch. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your future projects.

1 Like

@Indy Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the feedback. Surely will post some of my new projects soon.

@AnimeshShaw What did you use to make the flow chart?

@FragmentalStew I use draw.io Check it out it’s one of the best, if not the best. I have been using it from few years now :blush:

@AnimeshShaw Oh, I used draw.io for my chart too, but I’m new at it, so mine doesn’t look as pretty

Hi @AnimeshShaw,
That was a great game, really enjoyed it.

Cheers & Good Luck,
YA

1 Like

Wow! You really went above and beyond with this. Congrats.

1 Like

@Yash_Agrawal and @Soapbox Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. Glad you guys liked it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Played your game a few times to see the different endings. Loved the descriptions of the surroundings, and the addition of pickupable items was really cool! Good job!

1 Like

@desdemonhu Thanks a lot. I am glad you liked and several liked my idea.

Sorry for digging this post up again but the code was updated to Unity 2019.x and now the game is on itch.io where you can play it. Original demo link is no longer valid.

Play the Game Here

Privacy & Terms