Testing Solo with Windows Sandbox

If you’re running Windows 10 Pro, you can install the Windows Sandbox feature in order to test matchmaking with steam on a single computer. You’ll need to create a sandbox configuration file to enable GPU support, I added a file named Sandbox.wsb to my project folder that contains the following:

<Configuration>
  <VGpu>Enable</VGpu>
</Configuration>

Once saved, you can click on the wsb file and a new sandbox will launch. Now you just need to copy and paste your build to the server, install steam, log in, and load your game. The game will prompt you to install the prereq files, click through the installer (ignore the service can’t start error). Once this is done, you should be able to successfully start the game and test networking functionality.

It didn’t work at first for me as I had a bug in my code. I was able to verify it should work by testing with the spacewars game and the project files from the gamedev repo. They worked fine so I investigated further, fixed my bug, and was able to successfully connect to my game.

3 Likes

@geminfry I found that solution too but I hit the GPU compatibility wall. How did you managed to get past that “A D3D11-compatible GPU (Feature Level 11.0, Shader Model 5.0) is required to run the engine.” error. I tried and didn’t find a solution.

gpu_compatiblity_error

I’ll appreciate it if you give me an idea mate.

Thanks.

Thanks! It worked for me, first I tried virtual machine with Sandboxie but Steam log would notify me as if I was using the same machine, maybe It was necessary to run Steam from another installation but before trying that I tried the way you mentioned and it worked great.
Still trying to find a way to keep the files after closing the Windows Sandbox but having to re install Steam every time is pretty fast actually. Just ctrl+c, ctrl+v the installer in the VM

1 Like

This is a great solution. Thanks for sharing.

I’m not sure how you could change GPU settings in Unreal Editor to help with compatibility. If you can, this might work.

This should actually be

<Configuration>
  <VGpu>Default</VGpu>
</Configuration>

Privacy & Terms