Stop FreeLook Camera from constant up and down tilting when moving

Hi,
The default FreeLook Camera settings cause constant up and down tilting when moving. Does anybody know which settings will stop this? Thanks.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re meaning… If the lookat target is a bone on the character, sometimes the animation can cause an up and down effect as the bone moves…
If this is the case, try increasing the Dead Zone range on the Follow and Aim components. This will make the camera move only when the camera is looking further than this dead zone gap from the target location and can smooth out these sorts of issues.

Hi @Brian_Trotter

If you check the Basic Movement - Cinemachine Camera tutorial, at 9.50, you can see what I mean. As the character moves the horizon moves up and down, which is caused by the camera tilting up and down.
If you have this project in Unity, you can select the camera, and in the scene view you can see the camera frustum tilting up and down as you move the player.

I see it now. It’s something that I never noticed.
I did find adjusting Y Damping in the Body section, and Dead Zone Height in the Aim section helped some, but not entirely…

Much of this, I think, is unevenness in the terrain. As the player moves over the uneven terrain, it’s Y position changes with every step. When I put a plane into the scene, the effect was diminished.

The thing is although the terrain in the tutorial (basic movement - cinemachine camera) is completely flat you can see the horizon line in the background moving up and down as we move the player. I’ve never seen a default virtual camera behave like this before.

TBH, in my personal project, (the one I made for myself when the course was in the review process), I used a different virtual camera for the Freelook. It doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles, but it also didn’t have the bob. When I loaded up the course project from the repo, the bob was, indeed there. I’m going to replace the camera in my personal project tonight when I get home and see if the bob shows up (I suspect this is a “feature” of the camera… For a 1st person camera, it would make perfect sense, you WANT the bob on a 1st person camera, it adds to the immersion.

Update

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.cinemachine@2.4/manual/CinemachineAimComposer.html Jittering appears to be a known issue. Try playing with these values: ![image|690x235](upload://uC8ceStDq4yI2DGJo2THKoN6U4y.png)

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it

Privacy & Terms