(Still Untitled) Sea Trading Game

What you need to do is dedicate an hour at least an hour or a bit less to Game development every day. And stick to it :wink:

1 Like

That would be great. Just so maby other things happen or have to be done too. :slight_smile:

It might still be early, but it looks VERY good from my side of the screen.

It also has all the things I’ll need to learn when making my games in the future so I can’t wait to hear how far you get with this.

It reminds me of the trading mini-game in one of the Assassin’s Creed games (forgot which one) where the idea was to trade items to ports desperate for them, but they were often the furthest away and most dangerous. However, that being said the amount of money and supplied you’d get in return for making such a dangerous trip would reward you in the longrun.

@Aron_Marczylo

Thanks, it’s definitely coming along:-) I’m really hoping to take this one all the way, I’ve made such progress with it already that it seems like it’d be a waste to do anything else. I’m starting to get really close, although there is a pretty large number of issues that I need to address before I do too much more with it. What I’m working on right now is really helping me to find issues that have been there all along, but just weren’t noticed previously, although it’s making that work move a bit slower than I had hoped. My to-do list keeps growing, but the good thing is the items that I’m adding are tending to be things that can be addressed relatively quickly.

On a side note, if you see something of interest that you’d like me to talk about, let me know, and I’ll probably do a blog about it, either here or at the community blog site.

1 Like

It’s been a while, so here’s a video of game play that’s coming along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5X35ZcrdQ

What I’m the most interested in hearing about is the gameplay. The main idea will be traveling from place to place as is shown in the game, getting goods to keep your ship alive, gaining wealth, and eventually buying new ships. I haven’t gotten there yet, but I hope to have some random events occur that will keep things more interesting. What do you think?

1 Like

It has a name now! I’m calling it “Colonial Sea Trader”. I’ve done quite a bit of UI work, graphics improvement, and am quickly working towards either a Steam Greenlight Campaign, or possibly a Kickstarter Campaign.

2 Likes

Colonial Sea Trader sounds good @Ben_Pearson, and it is looking really good :slight_smile:

Nice idea. may i suggest something. the sea needs to be less reflective as it does not work in reflection with the flat nature of the land in a design layout style.
play around with the brightness of the light reflecting off the water. maybe also tint it yellow ish.(the light)
Something in design terms is just a tad off.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll keep playing, but here’s something to see if you think I’m going in the right direction at least. The UI elements are going to be less flat soon, I’m working on that as one of my highest priorities!

2 Likes

its the shine on the sea buddy. it just looks odd against the flat landscape by flat i mean no reflection.
The sea at the top of the image looks good. at the bottom it looks odd

A bit more dramatic. What do you think?

less reflection in the water which is great

if thats what it looks like from all points and you have lost the coloured glass looking water. then thumbs up buddy as it now has a much better contrast overall and a match to the main land mass.

maybe now go very rustic on the ui. where you have blue outlines turn that to brown and where you have flat colours on buttons and such maybe a wood or weathered paper effect.
Hope this helps

It’s funny, I was thinking something similar and actually started it, although I have a bit further to go still… Also, I found most of my contacts thought similarly to you in regard to the water, just no one said anything.

Still working on things further, but…

1 Like

I think sometimes, with regards to feedback, people may worry that they may offend, especially so when it’s online rather than face to face. No one wants to deliver a crushing blow and upset someone who is working really hard and bringing something to life. There may also be some hesitation around “Well if it were me, I would do it this way…”, where perhaps they feel that it’s only a personal view rather than being something which would offer value to a project.

/2 cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms