(Still Untitled) Sea Trading Game

This is still a work in progress, it is a sea trading game that I’m hoping to have representing the colonial time period. I’m still working out the details, but it’s coming along. I post weekly updates to my website, currently http://www.kd7uiy.com/ , and I have a Google Group that I send out notices of updates, along with some other special bits that only they get, at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/kd7uiy . I haven’t decided yet what my final platform will be, but I’m considering trying to do a Kickstarter release for the graphics that leads into an ultimate release on Steam. I hope to have it ready for Kickstarter by the end of the year. I also started a website, http://www.oldhammedia.com/.

Just to give you something, here’s a recent screenshot of what the world looks like:

5 Likes

Looks interesting. What’s the core gameplay?

You go around from city to city, either trading goods or taking on missions to trade goods. In theory your trade will influence the world in ways I’m still trying to determine as well. You have to feed your crew, and make sure they have water, and eventually will have to protect against random events like storms, pirates, etc.

1 Like

Sounds interesting, I really like trading games. I even tried to play pirates as a trader ^^

1 Like

i did the same lol.

I actually never played Pirates, although I suppose this is that kind of a game. I’ve always enjoyed them as well, which is why I intend to make one:-)

I’m guessing your took inspiration from Port Royale games.
these are a type of game we need more of, Games that use brains rather than reaction times.

https://www.gog.com/game/port_royale

1 Like

have you learned trough the course? that would be very nice

It’s looking really nice @Ben_Pearson, still following and enjoying reading the updates on your mailshots :slight_smile:

I intend on making several games that involve brains rather than reaction times and key movements. This is only the start of a number of such games that I have in mind, with subjects like naval warfare, living in space, and even more mundane but still though provoking like plowing snow.

Port Royale wasn’t actually the game I was thinking of. I can’t remember the name of the game anymore, but the game that I’m drawing inspiration from what a game based on trading goods in space. Really it’s not that different to make a game doing the same thing with sea trading, so…

I learned a lot of this from the course, but as might be expected, it’s really just a starting point. The partially lived Procedural Generation course helped me with the procedurally generated maps that I’m working on now. I’ve learned things through various other online tutorials, but my first advent to Unity, or even really this game development in general, was this course.

2 Likes

Maybe Elite?

I’m trying to remember the game of it… One was an old BBS game, the other a windows game I can’t remember. The truth is, I only remember enjoying a few mechanics on a number of old games, and want to focus on that game. I might still have the game, maybe I’ll trying digging it out…

“Christoph Kolumbus” aka “Voyages of Discovery” from Amiga times? :slight_smile: My first strategy ever :slight_smile:

Haven’t heard of that one. I did loosely base it on the game Colonization, which was done by the same person in the same era as Pirates, so…

Hey @Ben_Pearson, I’m sure you may have already thought of this, but depending on how you’ve written/developed the game so far, it may be possible to also spin out a space themed version afterwards. Was thinking about this when driving home last night, space instead of water, planets instead of land based ports, space ship instead of sea ship, cargos would still work - albeit the hold may need to look different I guess. Trading mechanics could well be the same.

Just a thought, I appreciate this may not have ever been the intention, but if its going to market etc, you may be able to capture two audiences with little changes to your original core game :slight_smile:

I have in mind doing something space related, although it will be quite a bit different, I can probably use some of the same code to manage. Thanks for the feedback, the trick is to get this game done first!

1 Like

It’s looking really good, I must get another play on it - I will look forward to a post that says about another version to play soon.

It might be a while… Getting the procedural generation to work right is taking a lot of work… But it’s starting to look awesome!

1 Like

Very nice @Ben_Pearson :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms