Still something is missing… [Unity 2020.2.5]

Hey guys…

I am somehow not able to create proper 2D Sprites in Unity. I can do it in my 2019.2.11 version but not in the 2020.2.5 one. What is going on there? When I right click in the project window and go to ‘Create’ I get the following options:

When I then go to ‘2D’ I get:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 11.45.40

And then under ‘Sprites’ I find:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 11.45.48

But it’s not like in the course video… I feel like somethings amiss. Any help please?

Hi TheSnooze,

Please go to Window > Package Manager and install “2D Sprites”.

Did this fix it?

See also:

1 Like

Doing that gave the last window:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 11.21.45

Your screenshot looks fine to me. Click on one of the items to create a game object with a SpriteRenderer component and a sprite.

However, maybe I misunderstood your problem. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I should have those options:

and then:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 14.08.53

But instead I have the above.

I took those screenshots from the 2019 version.

To sum up my problem:

In the 2019 version (in grey) I have the ‘Sprite’-Option by default when right-clicking in the Asset window.

In the 2020 version (in black) I do not have the ‘Sprite’-Option when right-clicking in the Asset window.

I would like the ‘Sprite’-Option in the 2020 version.

Sometimes, Unity slightly changes its GUI in an updated version because the Unity programmers figured a different concept was better. If you want to get the same menu as in Unity 2019, you’ll have to downgrade.

Alternatively, you could write your own classes that generate objects for you. In that case, you could define your own menu item.

Please feel free to ask our helpful community of students over on our Discord chat server.

But that would mean that the option is somewhere else, right? But I can not find it anywhere.

Regarding the “2D-Sprite” package: Sprites created that way have a dark outline and a bad resolution in Unity when I scale them up. So, something’s not right there with them.

Thanks for your help so far. I could use Unity 2019 I guess, but the black version looks so much more attractive. :smiley:

If anybody else has an idea what I am missing with Unity 2020, please let me know… Thanks.

That sounds … strange. Could you please share screenshots of what you see in Unity? The entire Unity window would be helpful including the Inspector of the game object with the Sprite Renderer.

Regarding the menu, for the result, it should not matter whether the sprites are in the 2D > Sprites or in Sprites. I, personally, would not downgrade just to see the Sprites menu in the top level. This lecture is just for toying around with a few premade sprites and to become a bit more familiar with Unity. It’s more or less irrelevant for the actual project.

That’s what it looks like… Can you see the edge around the circle? It’s like that around every object there.

There’s also a difference in what I can work with:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 14.08.53
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-23 um 11.21.45

The edges are very likely caused by sprites. See your Assets folder. They are small images, and you scaled them up. The renderer might have problems with interpolating between the transparent part and the non-transparent part. That’s usually the problem when somebody didn’t create the sprites correctly. (Not your fault!)

You could click on the square and set the filter mode to “Point” in the Inspector. Then click on Apply. I don’t know if it’ll also look good for the circle.

Bear in mind that Unity is not a painting software or a bitmap editor. Your scene looks good as it is. If you don’t want to fix the sprites yourself or to downgrade Unity, I’d suggest to consider this project as done. You successfully placed a bunch of sprites in the scene and arranged them to create a landscape.

Yeah, it looks like the resolution wasn’t high enough for my intended scaling. And that’s the exact issue I have with those ‘2D-Sprite-Package-Sprites’. They shouldn’t behave like this. I moved on from this project and continued the course and scoured the web for a possible solution. To no avail. It’s just annoying that such a simple function is gone from the new version. I can’t wrap my head around it.

They are meant for prototyping only, not for actual projects. In a real project, you would use them as placeholder, and you would eventually replace them with proper sprites.

I can’t wrap my head around it.

You could message the Unity support and ask them why you don’t get the desired results with the current version of Unity.

That is indeed a good call! If it keep bothering me I shall do that. Thanks for the patience!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms