Steamworks SDK. Must I pay the product distribution fee before even downloading?

Hi all.

As title suggests. I am trying to learn about using Steamworks SDK with my little multiplayer game. But it seems I have to pay £100 and become a fully fledged publisher before I can even begin to get the files.

Is this the case or am I being thick when reading the Steam pages?

Well I searched on Google and eventually found someone linking to this page: Steamworks - SDK Downloads (steamgames.com)

This seems to have all the versions listed there to download and as long as I was signed into my Steam account on the browser I could get them.

I haven’t yet verified if these will work ok or not

You don’t have to pay. The £100 charge is if you want a unique server id but there is an experimental one that steamworks uses. You do have to register for a developer which is also free.

I certainly didn’t pay and the page with the download is here: Home - Steamworks (steamgames.com)
The latest version is 1.53a

1 Like

Well if I click your link I get stuck onthe screen I was stuck on originally which tells me to “continue the onboarding process…”

I cannot download anything from that link without first paying a fee.

Luckily the link I posted seems to bypass this

I’m not sure what is going on there. I was able to download just fine without having to pay. I’ve downloaded and added to one-drive. Try this link and let me know when you have it so I can remove the share.

Link Removed.

EDIT: Sorry, I realise you already have it. The site isn’t the best and I do remember having issues too with it but you definitely do not have to pay…unless you’re developing your own game of course.

Thank you BeeGeeDee. That was kind of you. But yes I believe I already have the correct files. Your help is always appreciated though. Big thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms