Steam Transport doesn't work

Hey, followed along till the last lecture/vid, however, the Steam transport part is just doesn’t work. Black screen when I click “host game” the screen is just dark +title of the game. Steam then removes the .exe file and that’s it.

I tried downloading the Github files. It gets me through the lobby option, and I am able to host the game, however, my friend joins a SteamWorks example project “SpaceWars” and not the RTS game.
Please help to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Hey,
I have the same issue. Did you manage to solve it somehow? I’ve tried looking for solutions. The Spacewar is used by steam to demonstrate their API to developers. So if our game has the same default SteamAppId (480) other players on Steam see it Spacewar, and that’s what they get to download/play.
However, if I change the SteamAppId (both in the NetworkManager > Fizzy Steamworks component and in the steam_appid.txt file), then my friend can only watch my game (empty screen) because the Lobby isn’t created. I can only enter the Host/Join screen, choose to host and then the screen is empty, because that OnLobbyCreated callback is never called.
According to what I understand from Steam forums and guides, the SteamAppId should be my app commercial id after I register with Steam. But in our case it’s a “pirated” game - just for the relay.

Is there anyone following this course that has managed to host the game on Steam and invite a different user through Steam, without the other player having the game as well already?

You need to install the game from the offline file, just like the host. Then open the game from steam. Then invite/join the game. This way it avoids asking you to download Spacewar.

Thanks for the answer, but that’s the only way? I have to send the zipped file to all friends that I want to play with, and they have to add it to their steam library?

For the course we are using this Spacewar development Id. For that Id, this is the only way to do it. If you are to sign up for your own Id (I think this costs money, which is why it wasn’t covered in the course) then you can have your game be downloaded off steam.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms