Steam_appid.txt not working for UE5 packaged build

Has anyone else been able to get Steam overlay to show up in a packaged build on UE5?

If I run my game from the command-line using UnrealEditor.exe, I get the Steam overlay. However, the packaged builds don’t show Steam overlay and the logs show that I’m using the NULL OnlineSubsystem. I added steam_appid.txt (480 is the only contents) alongside PuzzlePlatforms.exe in my packaged build (per instructions in the previous lecture), but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

1 Like

Figured it out… Went back and reviewed my DefaultEngine.ini. I had neglected to uncomment the following line in my DefaultEngine.ini back when grabbed the values from the Unreal Online Subsystem docs page.

bInitServerOnClient=true

So, if Steam works for you when running via UnrealEditor.exe but doesn’t work when running packaged build, that’s something else to double-check.

2 Likes

Success! Just reporting back that I finally was able to get two packaged builds on UE5 to connect to one another via Steam!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms