Steal This Game Idea! (call for ideas)

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) or TL; DR: (too long, didn’t read) – Post your game idea here!

Given game jams and other excuses one has for making new games (“just because” being a good one), I figure having ideas to scan and springboard off of during the “brainstorm” phase is useful.

Now, if you post your game idea that will make millions overnight, I can now come along and steal it and make the millions for myself! Mwa ha ha ha! But really, if it’s a really great idea that aligns with my own interests and abilities, I’ll still probably not steal it but might springboard off of it to get related ideas. Read this article on why you don’t really have to worry about someone stealing your million dollar idea and getting wealthy in your place: https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

Now one reason he wrote this was he gets inundated with other’s ideas and is tired of saying, “sure I’ll round up a build team for you, if you pay me half a million in advance!” And I understand. Hence, the public forum instead of sending the idea to individuals who don’t appreciate it!

What I ask is this:

post your idea. Minimum size: elevator pitch. Maximum size: a game design document. Anything in between. It would probably just annoy people to have to scroll past “another pacman clone”, “another space invaders clone”, so make it an elevator pitch at least: if you were in an elevator with your gamedev boss, tell him about the game you want to make in terms that would get him to say, “go ahead, I’m behind you”. I.e. a paragraph, something that can be explained in an elevator ride. (I worked in buildings from 1 floor to 12 floors, most common being 4 or 5, and I’m sure New Yorkers have worked in 30- to 16,336- floor buildings, so there’s plenty of flexibility).

It would probably annoy people to post something so big it crashes the Gamedev.TV servers too. So, not a full AAA game design document bigger than War and Peace (unless you link to it on OneDrive or Google Docs or something).

So, I hope to hear more than crickets here…Game ideas wanted! Will pay, well, nothing for them!

Starter idea:

In a world with robots to serve man, the robot servants are controlled by processes. Sometimes a process goes into a bad state and is never reaped. The robot then becomes a zombie robot. They can still move, but slowly, with circuits exposed and falling out. What they want is brains…something to control their zombie process. Well, people have brains. And somehow they got the idea that someone is serving man…

Zombie Robot – you shoot them and what’s left of them keep on coming. They can be killed, but not easily. Don’t let them get to you or they’ll have your head. Find better weapons, powerful pickups. Don’t let the robots find self-repair kits or you will have to redo your hard work.

Zombie Robot – coming soon, or later, or never, maybe.

Privacy & Terms