[SOLVED] SourceTree Crashing on Commit

Hello,

When I try to commit in SourceTree (below), SourceTree crashes. It gives me a Crash Report and there are report details, but I don’t really understand what to do with them. Is there a way to fix this? (hopefully there is… :wink: )

Here’s my .gitignore file if it’s neccessary:

##########################
# Unreal Generated Files #
*/Build/
*/Binaries/
*/DerivedDataCache/
*/Intermediate/
*/Saved/
BuildingEscape/Content/StarterContent/

######################
# VS Generated Files #
######################
*.VC.db
*_BuiltData.uasset

Thanks,
Enrico

Does anybody have a solution for this?

@World please heeeeeeelppppppp…
@DanM (sorry to bring you into this), but do you know if there is a way to fix this?

What are you trying to commit?

I was trying to do the “Initial Commit” after I made the .gitignore and staged the initial group of files that Ben said. This was in lecture 117 by the way.

Thanks,
Enrico

I meant what files. And have you already tried reinstalling SourceTree?

@DanM, Here are the files I originally wanted to commit:

No, I didn’t try reinstalling SourceTree. Should I do that?

P.S. The crash happened before there were any other unstaged files. Those showed up because I continued with the lectures.

Yes.

@DanM I uninstalled and reinstalled SourceTree. When I loaded it back up all my previous files appeared because I didn’t delete the .git folders, etc. I tried to click commit and it still crashed giving me the same crash message.
I then uninstalled everything related to SourceTree and did a fresh install of SourceTree. I remade the .gitignore, staged the files again, and clicked commit. It still crashed.
What should I do now?

There are some new staged files (because I continued following the lectures, so no problem there):

and here is is my new .gitignore if needed:

# Unreal Generated Files #
*/Build/
*/Binaries/
*/DerivedDataCache/
*/Intermediate/
*/Saved/

BuildingEscape/Content/StarterContent/
*_BuiltData.uasset

######################
# VS Generated Files #
######################
*.VC.db

Thanks,
Enrico

I guess it could just be an issue with SourceTree. You could just use a different client or use the terminal

#check the files you want to commit are staged
git status
#if they are commit them with a commit message
git commit -m "commit message goes here"
1 Like

Thank you so much! That worked!
I’m just wondering is there a reason I failed at committing or could it be a bug?

Thanks again,
Enrico

Almost definitely an issue with SourceTree.

GitHub Desktop and GitKraken are other popular GUI clients if you want to try a different one.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms