Show us your moment sketch!

Here’s my (somewhat ugly!) sketch for my first gameplay moment. Let’s see yours!

Moment%20sketch

6 Likes

Here’s my gameplay moment sketch. There is lots for the player to choose from, a hidden path, follow the stream to a secret area, or blaze through town. The smoke from the mysterious cave will draw the player in that direction. How will he choose to get there?

3 Likes

Code-wise and unity-editor-wise, I’ve been following along with the course. But when it comes to the design portions, I’ve been doing them for my own project, rather than the one given to us. This section was especially interesting because in a game like this, thinking up a “moment” isn’t too hard because you’re designing the levels by hand. My own project, on the other hand, has procedural levels.

So I took a stab at what I thought an average “moment” for one of those levels would look like, as well as (like in this lesson) where things would spawn and how they’d be laid out:

vh_level_sketch

Behold my Paint.Net skills!

8 Likes

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Sketch

Yay for stick men, Figured i would use the drawing tablet to get used to it for sculpting in blender later.
Its REALLY hard to work with an 8 inch tablet on a 42 inch tv!

6 Likes

It’s ancient ruins. The player needs to get out. He can join the battle with monsters or find a secret pass or solve the puzzle

4 Likes

The lesson was inspirational. Made a special grid paper for anyone who wants to use it to make isometric layouts for dungeon crawlers. It has a 4:3 ratio and one 45degree line to create the sense of a fixed plane. Usually isometric grid paper goes both ways but it’s good to recreate the locked camera so you can focus on space and design. Top down layouts don’t give the same sense of space like for a corridor or combat area. Plus it’s fun to use. Fun lesson!

25 Likes

Good idea with the paper

2 Likes

moment1_sketch
I thought the player coudl get ambused in the forest to start with. If you let the thieves live, they can open a secret way into town for you. Otherwise, you have to fight or do a quest for the guards to get past them

4 Likes

First off we have the player starting location, marked in purple. The idea is that the player was about to be executed but has escaped, hence his position in the middle of the town square. The enemies are the blue circles and the blue lines are patrol routes, with each circle along a patrol route being an individual waypoint. Red enemies have no attack radius and continually follow the player. Yellow enemies have more health and damage. Green circles are NPCs. Pink circles are NPC flee locations. My idea with this is that NPCs will have a panic radius. If the player gets within that radius they panic and flee to their assigned flee location. The main player choice is whether to go straight toward the exit or try to sneak through the town.

1 Like

Bit of a fag-packet sketch for me, none of your fancy new-fangled ‘colors’ or computer graphics. Started setting up my android tablet as a drawing input to Win10 and halfway through I thought ‘you know what - pen and paper and a camera is fine’ lol.

Not deviated hugely from Rick’s example. Slightly different geography, decided to keep a nice hill i’d created with a single path to the top. That can be a ‘pretend’ objective - special loot or something.

Walk through small canyon/pass then faced with 3 options:

1. Beeline straight for objective - enemy camp encounter + big bad boss
  2. Follow path through village. Some low-level guards to fight followed by boss.
  3. Cut along lake shore. Only boss man

Will see how it goes…

1 Like

Revised Moment and Sketch:

1. Description: Player is on a journey to visit family in the new land. The player arrives by merchant boat to a small village. The merchant boat will not be staying because the villagers can no longer pay for trade goods. An NPC informs the player that a group of strange hostile guards have taken over the mine and blocked the tunnel to the rest of the mainland. Additionally, the guards are prohibiting residents from entering the surrounding hills to hunt or manage their livestock.
  2. The moment: The player must find a way into the guarded mine and free the miners.
  3. Where: Across a bridge and up a hill from the village.
  4. Trying to do: Player desires to defeat the guards and access the mine entrance.
  5. Meaningful choice: Attack the guards at the blockade and fight your way to the mine entrance, or sneak to the mine the back way and fight the few guards at the entrance.
2 Likes

Simple layout, instead of drawing all the trees I took a design shortcut :wink: The player can either fight two guards and cross the bridge, or take a dirt path to an old campsite and use an axe to chop a tree to make a new bridge, with the catch being that if they do this they spawn a single, tougher enemy near the town. This makes it actually different depending on the route taken.

2 Likes

The idea with my moment is that you’re an ‘explorer’ approaching a new town and you meet a fleeing NPC at a cross-road who tells you that the town has been overrun by [generic bad guys]. However, the river road (to the left) is less protected and will get you all the way to the far side of town. You choose whether to fight your way through (i.e. save the town/get epic reward) or make your way around (Way less risky but no reward.)

3 Likes

2 Likes

Not sure, if it’s not already more than just one moment…

1 Like

The player must pick the lock quietly to open the front door. He can explore anywhere but be careful of making noise and alerting thugs. The downstairs office has an alarm which will alert thugs, the meth lab has glass windows, but also there’ll be a notification that informs player he can smell the meth. In order to pick the front door lock the player must have a lock pick found (or purchased) earlier in the game. He can also shoot off the lock but that alerts the thugs. In order to set the lab on fire he needs either matches (found or purchased earlier) or can shoot at lab gear with gun.

2 Likes

I think this would have gone quicker if I’d just sketched it, but now I have the beginnings of the model(s) as well

6 Likes

Here is my sketch, it is a burning building escape with passwords and keys.

Red Markings are locked doors, Yellow are the Password and key locations.

Watch out for the flames (to be added later.)

Building%20Escape%20Sketch

3 Likes

This is my first sketch for the moment, where the player has 3 paths to go through.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms