Set Up Unity & VS Code & Mac Users

I already have my Visual studio Setup however wanted to make sure i have the right extensions for this course .I am using a Mac . There are no unity code snippets that i can find ?

… well i found snippets Under Tools top of screen but i dont know how to install it. Its different on a mac. I cant get the tool tips to pop up.

1 Like

Hi Louise,

I’m not a Mac user sadly but i might have some tips to check.

1. If the VSCode is the same as windows then there should be extensions button on the left side of vscode and that is where you would find the unity package and the c# package.
  2. You may need the macOS .net sdk installed as well as windows usually installs a variant of sdk with the install of the OS

This link may also help.

I’ve posted this thread in our discord server and its on our internal channels to see if someone has a Mac that can also help.

If you can show some screenshots that you might think that is applicable i may be able to help further.

Hope this helps and makes some sort of sense to the issues you are having here or at least a thread to pull on :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for this Marc yeh i will send some screen shots shortly just sorting out sourcetree for tbs course project at the moment

Hi Louise,

I know this won’t help at all, but I’ve never really been successful in getting the code snippets to work on Mac or Linux. I’ve tried the Unity plug-ins and such, but no luck on either platform.

I have not tried Marc’s fix yet because, frankly, I just got used to writing out all the code.

I used to get frustrated about it, but then I was like, “Well, if I want to write code, this is what I signed up for :man_shrugging:

If Marc’s fix does work for you, please post about it and I’ll try it on my Linux box, too.

There are a lot of similarities between Mac and Linux, like the Terminal commands are the same, where-as many of the commands in the Windows cmd prompt (like Terminal but not Terminal) are different and Linux/Mac CLI commands often don’t work in the Windows cmd prompt environment either.

1 Like

Yeh im just seing if i can get it to work. I will let you know if i have any luck. Apart from that im just going to move on to next lecture. I been using C# ok without code snippets for last few years so …

Plus Cyber Girl runs much better now you should find game much easier. It’s far more forgiving. Master Yee gave me a list of bugs to fix which really did the trick.

1 Like

I definitely listen to Master Yee when he has some input. He’s the man!

Can you post another link? I lost the last one but I’d be happy to check it out again tonight.

1 Like
1 Like

bit of sneaky advertising there lol

1 Like

I made it to the second level this time but the smashers kept getting me.

The first time I died in Level 1 was because I hit my head on the bottom of the moving platform.

#2 I fell in the water pit.

#3, 4, and 5 were smashers and a water pit on Level 2.

I think one thing that I would change in Level 1 would be to move the springy thing to where the vertical moving platform is located, and use a vertical moving platform in place of the springy thing, but that’s just my thought. I think I would also make some of the beginning water pits a little more narrow (a little more forgiving), and use the longer jump pits a little later, to kind of work up to the challenge a bit.

I like the addition of the health bar, but I didn’t get shot by anything yet so I haven’t seen it in action.

I think the lives reset to 3 when I made it to Level 2, and I like that! I mean, it helped me get a little further in the game.

1 Like

Yes Jay Master Yee certainly is. He’s an exeptionally good game dev and private tutor if you are in need. Coding doesn’t come easily to everyone. It’s taken me a fare few years to grasp the basics. The thing is not to give up. It’s a wonderful skill to make great games and very rewarding.

1 Like

yes good point about making water pits at the beggining smaller. The 2nd one for sure it’s a tricky one that lol

1 Like

Okay, lemme revise my previous statement…the problem is mostly me. I do not like ‘jumping-style’ obstacles when using a keyboard. I realize there is enough variety with the oatmeal pits and spike pits. It’s me using the keyboard that is the fault.

I got to the electrical fields on level 2 this time though. That third electrical field requires some expert timing! :wink:

Also, I don’t know if I said anything before but the music you did is great! It really helps this game stand out. Really good jorb on the music!

1 Like

cool you are doing really well

1 Like

awe thanks im really glad you liked the Music

1 Like

I don’t think I mentioned it last time because someone else did, but it’s definitely worth noting that the music is very good and suits the game well.

It fits in with the Synthwave Cyberpunk thing. It was all composed and produced in Reason 12. Electronic music has always been my thing. I played some big venues in the past. I’m planning to compose a whole album for my dream Term Based Strategy Game.

This was my favourite game of all time

Laser Squad Nemesis by the original creator of XCOM Julian Gollop is the man. Anyone who likes TBS and has never played Pheonix Point should do. In some ways it’s ahead of XCOM as in the aiming system strategy wise. XCOM 2 is glorious for the graphics though and i love the humour.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this game before. I’m sure I’ve played something like it in the past.

I tried playing XCOM (or maybe XCOM 2, I have one of them on Steam but I don’t remember which), but it’s pretty ruthless and I didn’t do well. I get bugged about building up a character just to get it killed later.

I’ve never used Reason and I don’t know a lot about Electronic music, but I’ve been using Ardour for years and most of my stuff is guitar based. I dunno, I’ve always wanted to record something to put into my games, but I haven’t really made any good games yet. I had a few rock-like-ish-I-guess tunes posted on SoundCloud, but I really bottomed out last week and deleted my SoundCloud, FB, and LinkedIn accounts so there’s just nothing there anymore. It is what it is.

1 Like

awe happened to me long while back i had mid life crisis. Game Dev saved me to be honest.

Yeh you need patience to play TBS but once you get into it you are hooked.

1 Like

perhaps a begginer friendly term based strategy game is in demand hmmmmm

1 Like

Privacy & Terms