Server? Unity Multiplayer Intermediate C# Coding and Networking

I’ve gone through a big portion of the Unity Multiplayer Intermediate C# Coding and Networking course using Mirror, but it only allows local access. What can I do to make it online (on a server) rather than just LAN and WLAN?

Hi there, good question!
The last couple lectures will cover how to host it on Steam so you can play tested online. In general you could use direct IP connections, but due to security/firewall issues it is better to do online play through a host service like Steam that can handle connecting users and match making etc.

2 Likes

There’s Steamworks as per this course, but Nathan also has a video on his YouTube channel which describes how to create a dedicated server on Azure Playfab:

2 Likes

This may be an old thread, but I want to link a helpful documentation by Mirror on Server hosting for others.

In essence, we tick “Server build” and use Linux platform when building. We then zip & upload this to our server via SFTP, SCP, etc. Afterward, we unzip, mark file as executable, and just run the executable.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms