Server Side Coding/Data Storage for Unity Games

I’ve done a few courses on udemy and I’ve yet to find one that will provide me with an overview of how to make a backend server to save game/player/user data to.

If we use Glitch Garden as an example, lets say I expanded on the demo, I have 50 levels (I don’t, but hypothetical to explain what I am after) and I wanted to release it on say Steam, iOS and Android, but I want a player to be able to switch between either platform without losing their progression, I can’t use PlayerPrefs for this it needs to be a central location, do I simply create a REST API then call it from C# like any business app? or is there a better way to do it, I would love a lecture or 2 on sever side data storage best practices in Unity.

Alternatively, If this already exists, please point me in the direction of the course it’s in, i’ll be very greatful!

6 Likes

This would be very helpful, especially since it seems almost ALL games have a server-connected side these days. We need help learning how to build databases for storage of content controls, e-commerce, and user profiles (as well as Google Play saving, Facebook, and Apple). That would give us all the means to have successful game-creation businesses that utilize the current standards.

Privacy & Terms