Section Production Progress

This is flagged as correct answer (last one). But it has a typo with the closing bracket after Location.
Bad copy/paste errors! :wink:

GetWorld()->SpawnActor<AProjectile>(
    ProjectileBlueprint,
    Location),
    Rotation)
);

Grr, Udemy keep doing this to our quizzes! It is some post-processing they do after the event.

I have fixed this and strongly reported the bug to them, thanks for pointing it out.

Quiz feedback.

[spoiler]

FMath::Clamp(RelativeSpeed, -1.0, +1.0);
This will fail because the system doesn’t know whether to interpret +/-1 as float or double.

Is kind of misleading as it will be interperated as a double and then you’ll get a mismatch of types (float, double, double). Then a note saying to make that version compile you would need to do FMath::Clamp(RelativeSpeed, -1.0f, 1.0f);

How many times is it OK to write very similar code before thinking if there’s a better way to generalise?

Should probably be re-worded to say what’s the maximum as 1 is technically correct with that wording.[/spoiler]

1 Like

All fixed, thanks

“Adding a Quit Button” including self-collision fixes coming soon.

1 Like

Just noticed this on the Quiz answers for Clamp

[spoiler]"Arguably this is dangerous because the rounding from float to int is happening implicitly."
Rounding wouldn’t happen, conversion from float to int would truncate.

As well as the reasoning of “will be interpreted as floats.” for the first two answers gives the indication that the one for templated int is the only one with implicit conversion. Yet all of the examples you gave have them, int -> float or double -> float; As the F/f suffix denotes a float and without it you define a double.[/spoiler]

You’re so helpful Dan.

1 Like

Fixed :slight_smile: Thanks again Dan

Not sure if this was supposed to be part of the challenge or if you were trying to get people to check against isHovered but OnClicked actually has the behaviour you described.

1 Like

You passed the extra points challenge :slight_smile:

We’re rolling, Physics Materials just shipped. Fly-by-wire control systems next.

3 new videos live yesterday, hoping for the same today

Thank you for mentioning my HoverTank project post in the end of lesson 147. Very honored! :smiley:

@ben, on lecture 149 the challenge resource links are not added to the course list yet.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll get to those resources, I appreciate it.

I think I care too much sometimes. I spent the entire day refactoring the way we work with components because I was uncomfortable with the prototype even though it works (see the refactor branch on GitHub if you like)

I’ll get to recording tomorrow once the implications have sunk in, and it’s late here now.

In the meantime enjoy yesterday’s 3 videos and rest assured it’ll be worth it in terms of clarity.

I feel like the current implentation is seriously overcomplicating the problem of how to move the tank. Especially considering how it was previous version of this section and the Unreal’s training stream of creating a tank, which is similar to that.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh7pDL8RFaI

I have seen that, we are making it more physical. It is complex but the idea is to learn as many re-usable tools as possible, and I think you will.

1 Like

Those resources against 149 are there now, thanks again

The UE4 stream uses a “simple move the object to another location” while @ben is showing us how to apply physical force to accelerate and turn our tanks. In the long run this physical movement will add to the overall feeling of the game :slight_smile:

Yes, and we will be forcing the AI to use the same controls as us. This will extendable to boats, hovercraft and much more

I kind of disagree, by the sounds of it we aren’t going for a simulation-esque game but a more arcade-esque version, so why have more complex, simulation style controls when the aim is for arcade? Doesn’t really make sense.

Privacy & Terms