HoverTank Battle on a space planet! (continues project updates)

This is my project post, where I am going to update my progress in the coming days / weeks.
It would be cool if others like to adapt this format. That way we can all share our updates nicely bundled in one thread per project.

• LowPoly Landscape
  • selfmade HoverTank in Blender
  • Textured in Substance Painter
  • c++ hover actor component

I found a blueprint hover mechanism on the UE4 forums. Thanks to this course I was able to rewrite it as independent c++ actor component following the steps from @ben with his Tank Aiming Component! :smiley:

If you are interested in how I made the tank model, I streamed some of the development at:
Twitch Highlights - GamedevCala

Update 22-Jun-2016 - added an emissive crystal formation (Blender and Substance Painter) for foliage tests. Fun stuff!

Update 09-Jul-2016 - Short footage with moving and shooting hovertanks :slight_smile:

:+1: Fail Faster - there is no instant win :+1:
GamedevCala - Twitter: @GamedevCala - Blog: nerd-time.com - Twitch: GamedevCala

11 Likes

Really cool! I’m curious what you did for the rear/grille.

In your Twitch highlights it just looks like a single hollow.

In your bottom-most screenshot, did you add more geometry? In the final product, is it just a texture?

You are right. I was testing out more geometry in blender for the engine output but later went with a simple plain backplate and an emissive grid while texturing the model :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely like the whole vibe of this project. Enjoying the low-rez theme and the nice lighting you’ve got going on, too.

To me this looks like a marketable product (doesn’t look like random assets thrown together for a demo, but actually meshing together well).

Kudos on a project well done.

1 Like

Thank you for clearing that up! I’m blown away by the results.

Added an emissive crystal formation (Blender and Substance Painter) for foliage tests.

2 Likes

Is foliage an Unreal feature? Is that why they don’t have shadows?

Probably.

1 Like

Foliage is a landscape painting function to populate the terrain with meshes. Baked shadows are not supported (yet) for foliage placed instanced meshes :-/

I need to fake it somehow because setting these up for dynamic real time shadows is insane ^^

2 Likes

Continuing to impress!

1 Like

Seeing those crystals shatter from missed shots would be impressive!

1 Like

:o
my facial expression… shooting stuff in your own game = feeling like a kid

1 Like

I stopped in for about 10 minutes and watched you. (Twitter is ProdigalKing, fyi).

Looks like things are coming together quite well for you, Cala. Definitely digging the low-poly vibe, and the light emitting from your tank and crystal foliage. Keep it up!

Thanks for saying hi in my chat. I am still a bit nervous while streaming / developing / talking English ‘live’ :slight_smile:

Twitch* rather haha!

You handled the streaming and English very well. :slight_smile:

Short updated footage with moving and shooting hovertanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very cool man! i use substance painter too. It’s awesome!

That art and lightning looks very nice, good job!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see the finished thing.

Any info on when you might be doing a stream? Is it on a twitch channel? I’m interested.

Privacy & Terms