Section 4 Lecture 76

Here’s my lit and rendered chess scene.

4 Likes

I added a sun and hemi lamp to my scene and reduced the intensity of each lamp till it fitted the look that I liked

3 Likes

I went with an ambient plus over lamp set up. Kinda gives it an indoor feel I think.

7 Likes

I decided to go with an ambient light for the board but just to mix it up a bit highlight the starting squares with individual coloured spots.

6 Likes

Need to work on how to use the lights a bit more.

Correction need to switch cycle render on the second image to blender render.

1 Like

Chess Board Lighting.

1 Like

Lighting

1 Like

H

ere’s my lighting with a tint of cool blue.

3 Likes

Chess Board^ sun+hemi+some shadows

2 Likes

I played around with the lights before we light it up for realsies. I’m a horror fan and enjoy all things creepy, so I decided to light the pieces eerily by using a spotlight, angled up, slightly above the board.

In using techniques we’ve learned, I dupe linked the one spot when I got it to where I wanted, placed the dupe linked spot on the next pawn over and then hit SHIFT + R for the rest. I duped the pawn’s spot in front of one of the bishops, moved it in place and dupe linked that spot, placing it at its final destination in front of the second bishop.

That lighting scheme left the board bathed in absolute darkness, making it unclear what I was looking at. I placed a hemi light high above the board and dropped its energy to .015 to allow just enough of the board to be seen.

A friendly game of spooky chess, anyone?

4 Likes

I went with a Hemi and a Sun as well, changed the color on one to be the slightest bit of blue and on the other to be a very pale yellow. Set them both around the middle of the board but angled out, like it’s getting on towards evening. I like the ambient light coupled with the light shadows stretching out behind the pieces.

Here my chess with two lights applied. Still, a lot to learn…

I tried something dramatic… Better continue with my carreer.
:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure what is going on with my chess scene. I noticed the chess board was acting strange when the materials were added. The black material seemed to change appearance depending on how the model was rotated in the view.

See the solid view and the render view. Anybody have any ideas on what I have done in my settings that could cause this? The lamp is set to Sun with the default settings.

Guess I can only have one image per post.

Here is the render view with the lamp set to Sun.

Yes, the indoor look is strong here.

Outdoor is harder and needs a few more tools, like Environment HDRI and coloring aids (if you go for realistic).
But don’t worry, the coming lessons will introduce that in the right context… :slight_smile:

Nice work! :slight_smile:

You get the idea of the look I was going for :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Low Poly Chess Scene. Two camera angles of the same lighting. The Key light off screen right is a spot with an 85 degree spot shape and Strength of 50000 because I have filmic blender installed into my color managent system. The left source 3/4 backlight is a hemi set at low intensity of .75. The first two images were made in Cycles, because all my materials are set up in Cycles. The Filmic Blender plug in seems to require higher intensity sources. To use Blender Render, I added new materials to the chess board and the chess pieces, I could not use the same materials as I created in Cycles. The third & fourth images are the Blender renders of the same lighting. The light intensities had to be reduced considerably. The spot light was reduced to 1.5 and the Hemi was .13

3 Likes

Very nice.

I tried to be a little more dramatic.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms