Section 3 Feedback

I was very impressed and are excited to take everything from chapter three and further apply it to my endeavors. Here I shall offer you some constructive feedback on how you may make it even more amazing:

1. The section title was misleading. I skipped this section altogether initially thinking it would only apply to Steam; and since I plan on implementing my own subsystem back-end a lot of the generic material in this chapter about the null subsystem and working with OSS in general turned out to be incredibly useful.

2. I’d like to see more about dealing with player state throughout the session flow. For instance, a sample on how someone might implement user authentication if they had their own or external auth apis. Perhaps even just setting up some mock data for the purposes of testing an authentication flow would be sweet.

3. To follow up on point 2, understanding how you might set a player’s in-game username/handle and perhaps displaying it when they are in the lobby.

and finally,

1. Better articulating the differences in how the OSS differs between lan/internet, listen/dedicated servers, etc. For instance, how would the flow for a dedicated server build differ when starting a lobby, a player initiating that lobby and being the “lobby-host”. I can make some general assumptions about how this all fits together, but digging into that a little bit deeper in the course might prove valuable to future students.

I watched your game patterns stream today and immediately following, purchased the VR course (I do not own any VR hardware, but I’ll gladly be your test dummy) no free courses required since I think I own all of the unreal ones already anyways :slight_smile: Anyways, thanks for the amazing course. I learned a ton from it.

-Rich
Congruent (discord)
X_Graveyard_X (epic, twitch, blizzard)
FuzzySockets (github)

Thanks Rich, there’s always more depth with Unreal Engine so I have to choose a point at which to stop. I would love to have infinite time to explore all these subjects.

Don’t you feel that the course gave you a great overview and starting point for diving deeper? If you are thinking of implementing your own OSS then I think you are in the top 1% of students by ability. It’s very hard to cover topics that you want in a way that will work for the more beginner-intermediate of our students.

Aside from the point about the section title, the other suggestions are just potential areas of expansion or ideas for a future course that I’m personally interested in learning about. Had you included them already, I would have given you the next three things on my priority list :slight_smile: As you said, there’s always more depth!

The course does indeed give a great overview of UE4 multiplayer. This (like all gamedev.tv courses) is the best available.

1 Like

Cool, I have corrected the title issue. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms