3D Magic Road Painter - Zombie Runner - Feedback please

Okay, so the end bit of brush strokes works as originally intended, however while making the first video I realized that might not be ideal. The caps of the strokes are always in level:

This can become a problem when drawing paths with multiple strokes. Here is a worst case example:

So the question is if you guys would

1. want to try PathPainter this way, or
  2. are happy to wait until I sort this out.

Have not actually come up with an idea how I will go about that, so not sure at this stage how long it will take. Some part of the tool might need a complete rework.

1 Like

I think that the path ends thing probably shouldn’t hold it back and it will be useful even if it isn’t sorted, but a future iteration should probably include a way to toggle between level caps and not, since it can prove equally useful to have them that way.

2 Likes

This is looking really well polished Frank, well done.

I really like the blue circles for the cursor :slight_smile:

Minor thing, not related to your PathPainter tool, but regarding your video - it’s really quiet. I don’t mean it in a criticising way, just if you record more videos later, to promote the tool, you may want to have yourself a little louder so that it’s easier to hear you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Rob! Not at all. I truly love constructive critics! Very helpful!

Hmm :thinking:, looks like I will need a proper mic if I want to do any more v/o videos (although I would rather not :slight_smile:).
Could only use a horrible old headset and my vol was probably high when watched back the recording. That would explain why another youtube vid scared the bejesus out of me after. :slight_smile:

Do you think it’s acceptable, or is it very quiet?
I’m now thinking that my sound card might be normalizing the volume as I watch it. It wouldn’t be the first time. Had some bad experience with it when I was making music for my 1st game. Didn’t understand why it sounded so different on other devices and it took some time to find all the settings to disable enhancements in the card.

Such a well built tool, I can’t wait for release Frank. Do you plan on selling this asset?

1 Like

Very slick little tool there Frank, well done! looks soo handy and would be a great addition to the asset store :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m torn to be honest. If it was 25 years ago, there would be a link already to a git repository. Now I don’t really have options (unless I can secure one of the contracts I am going for at the moment :crossed_fingers: )

I wonder what @Rick_Davidson’s choice would be regarding the “caps of strokes” question above.

1. want to try PathPainter this way, or
  2. are happy to wait until I sort this out.

Hi Frank,

Do you think it’s acceptable, or is it very quiet?

Apologies for my tardiness! Not sure why I didn’t previously spot your reply, sorry.

Regarding the volume, I think for perhaps demonstrating your tool as you have so far here, first couple of stages of its development etc, probably fine. I think if you were going to say pop it on a website to market it, or maybe rerecord anyway for an updated version, that’s when I would suggest resolving the volume.

1 Like

Thanks Rob!
Actually I was thinking to ask someone or a voice actor to do that. When I hear others speaking ESL like that, I can’t help but instantly feel that they are less credible and less professional. It’s a feeling, nothing conscious, but I can’t imagine how it might affect native speakers when it affects me like that. I have to work to reduce my accent but can’t allocate time for that at the moment.

Gah, sorry for taking so long to reply Frank! Personally, I would push this out for people to use with the current design and not worry about the cap ends. It looks like its awesome, so a couple of minor hiccups dont matter for now. As people use it, they’ll uncover all sorts of fun things that you hadn’t thought about!

3 Likes

Amazing job Frank, congratulations on that, such tools are very useful to help producing faster with the inbuilt unity Terrain, keep it going :smile:

I also feel that there aren’t many tools in the store that improves the unity terrain, most of them are totally different systems.

2 Likes

Hey Frank,

Actually I was thinking to ask someone or a voice actor to do that. When I hear others speaking ESL like that, I can’t help but instantly feel that they are less credible and less professional. It’s a feeling, nothing conscious, but I can’t imagine how it might affect native speakers when it affects me like that.

My thoughts were really only on the volume of the speech in your video, I didn’t have any difficulty or thoughts towards what I was hearing, any accent etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys,

Plans might have to change due to recent developments. I will let you know once I know more.

1 Like

Hot diiggity! @FrankSlater That is awesomeness right there. I first thought it was a premium tool made by the Unity developers or some such. Great Work!

1 Like

Thank you @PheonixLucror!

I see you are making some awesome stuff too. I managed to get to the… [possibly man with a torch?] without taking too much damage. :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep on going on your journey and I think we will see you making great games. I know a number of guys in the community who do great stuff with similar theme like you. Who knows. One day you guys might team up and create something big!

Okay guys,

As I mentioned I will have some news. It is not public yet, but the gist of it is that the tool is taking a different direction. That means I won’t be able to get a free version out this time.

I’m sorry guys! An opportunity presented itself after we started signing up for the beta and not taking my best shot at it wasn’t really an option.

It wasn’t sure that I was going to be able to grab the opportunity, which is why it took me this long to provide an update. I had to wait until it got close enough to reality.

Due to the above, even if the news was public, I wouldn’t discuss it here.
This is not the place where I would want to get publicity for a paid product.

I’m also here to see what I should edit, or remove from here (if I can) so it does not lead people later to the tool that is going to be released this time.

I might need the help/guidance of a moderator to get this right.
Deleting the whole topic altogether could be the safest. I still like the idea of a simpler free version dedicated to GamedevTv, but things got way too busy now in the world of staying afloat (Toggl shows 471 hours for the last 6 weeks only). If I get around doing a separate free tool, I’m sure we will be able to inform the community about that one.

I wish you all the best and have fun creating!

Hi Frank,

Congratulations on your news.

Regarding your posts, it would be a shame to delete in them in one sense, as it shows what can be created, the interest in what has been created that follows and the success story. As you have explained the situation I don’t think anyone is going to hold you accountable for an offer of a freebie which is now not available.

Maybe there would one day be scope to offer a small discount on the product for GameDev.tv students instead? There is the Wiki : Free & Cheap Indie GameDev Resources which is hosted here and other people have offered discounts etc, not suggesting for a moment you have to, but it’s perhaps an alternative to a free version or the need to delete everything.

Anyhoo, just a thought. Well done again :slight_smile:

Thanks @Rob!

The first time I realised this could help a lot of people and I might even be able to sell it on the Asset Store, I wanted to give something like ~100% discount for 1-2 weeks and 50% discount after that to GameDev.tv students.

Later I learned that the Asset Store doesn’t allow anything like that. So at the moment the only possible way seems to be if I will be able to release a free path tool that deals with the most cumbersome part of the process.
I will now have to consider other things and people when I’m making these decisions, so at the moment I can’t promise anything.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Frank,

No worries, sounds like you are now part of a team and obviously as such decisions need to be agreed by all.

I am fairly certain people who read this thread will understand and wish you the best with the project(s) as it/they develop further.

Well done again with the development :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Rob!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms