PRISM - Hacker Simulator.. wannabe

A text typing CLI Simulator thing
https://gamebucket.io/game/0415dad5-200c-402d-bda3-03d4676c6967
At the moment has only one thing you can do to “win” - I’ll let you figure what it is. As my first game, I thought I’d find my basis and how much I manage to do with only C# - Not much apparently :stuck_out_tongue: But it’s a fun idea for a game, I think. Maybe? Also, if anyone could tell me why doesn’t it respond to command the “first time” When you are “logged in” for the first time, you need to pass an empty line or some gibrish, then it will take a command. Feedback?

Aron (McAroney)

I could guess, without the code, that the first time not all your variables have the same data as the second time. Check to see what changes with choices, then make sure it has some data when you initialize it. or check out the debug section later in the course.

Thank you. I will. I realise it’s not much, but there always has to be a first :slight_smile:

Good attempt at a Hacknet kind of game, especially in this part of the course. Well done! This version is already very much your own.

My suggestion is only to increase the tolerance of the game a bit, to allow the player some room to play around. Some thoughts:

• I remember changing to parent directory worked by typing cd… or cd\ , but now I had to use “cd …”, meaning I had to find out an extra space was required in your game. (btw, I looked it up, your versions also seems common). Anyway, try adding a couple of common ‘almost correct’ answers and (in the HELP screen) don’t hesitate to overemphasize the phrases you are looking for.
  • You start the game with a question. To start my day (Y/N). I press N for no, assuming this is the wrong move but let’s see what happens: the game freezes on the ‘Goodbye’-screen. Freezes, or ends. I don’t know. I can only close the tab or refresh the game. To me this is a perfect example of where you game easily improve on your game: 1) think of a simple reward for the player brave or dumb enough for trying this wrong answer, 2) give him his reward (in this case a smart remark about laziness or something funny), 3) Offer the player the option to try over, restart, or return to previous screen (The return option is in my opinion a necessity)
  • Roughly similar to the previous remark. I got to a screen where the game stopped. I think I died, but it could also be that I won. I don’t know :man_shrugging:

I died… Or I won.

Try to get into the mindset of the player, imagine the perspective of the player that has never seen your game. and if you really want to do well, also try try to anticipate the idiot.

Hope my comment is useful for you, keep going and have fun making games

Thank you so much for trying out the game. You totally made my day :slight_smile: Yeah, there’s all these poems in there and text files at some point you can read through them and rename and move files. The OS is Unix inspirred. in Unix cd… or cd\ doesn’t work. I think cd / works, but a space is needed in Unix env. I’m going to have a “You lose. retry?” at some point but nothing like "That was the wrong move. Go back one?"I thought about the user having to go through several end-points/interfaces machines to achieve the goal of shutting down the factory and saving the world and when you did what you did to finish the game, it was the computer going “NOOO!” :smiley: But I realised that’s a lot of work and I need to get on with learning, but at least I kinda jotted down an idea here. Again, thanks so much for playing and nice feedback. Thank you :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms