Pinball Quest: Solution Walkthrough Discussions...Warning Contains Spoilers

A place to say how you have tackled the quest and challenges.

It’s all a bit new here but these are my suggestions to try and avoid spoilers,
gained from my experience in beta testing the quests.

• If you’ve not done the Pinball Quest it’s best if you leave now as you’ll learn less with spoilers!
    I certainly learn more by trying, getting it wrong, looking stuff up and looping back around.

• If you are stuck just nose at the challenge you are struggling with.

• If you have a specific challenge question start a new thread under ‘Ask’ add Quest Name in the title (and then [SOLVED] when you are sorted.

• If you are adding to this thread hide your solution to a challenge with Hide Details and the challenge name in the title. Use spoilers too.

• If you want your code ‘reviewed’ says so.

• If you reply to something hide it to behind something too as these threads are pretty awful to navigate around.

I’m not expecting to look at any threads on a Quest till I’ve finished it to avoid any chance of spoilers…

This may not work and please feel free suggest improvements.

Missing Bumpers:

I also reduced the collider and adjusted the sorting so looks like the ball is going under them a bit

Flippin Heck:

Eventually looked at right flipper and that didn’t help much. Lots and lots of trial and error and looked up a bit

Left And Right:

I added a serializedfield saying which key to use for that particular flipper

Reset:

At this stage I lazily reload the scene.

Make A Trail:

I got rid of my trail in the Trail Blazer Quest but know enough on how to add one and played with inspector till I was Ok with it

Slow It Down:

I stuck a range on the ball though wasn’t the best solution when I was testing with lots of balls and should have moved it somewhere else. And now come to think about it only have it done in the editor. Adding to list of changes….Saw in the Rick/Tim video about triggering the slow time with a key stroke which would have been a nice addition

Bounciness:

Added a physics material

Bumpiness:

Added an edge collider. Played with a bit of code for a while. Got nowhere. Added a physics material with a bigger bounce. If that hadn’t worked and with what I know now I’d have played with an effector.

Teleportation:

I immediately decided to complicate things with any teleport can teleport to a random other teleport. There was some fun mass teleport looping going on especially with multiballs. Took a long while to get approximately working. Somewhere along the line I actually looked up effectors and ended up simplifying the whole process by using them as part of the process.

Launch It:

Just added a force on a key press. In an accidental spoiler I saw Hazel had used the plunger asset. Not sure how clever she was but I just added an animation. Later on I randomised the force to get different start results.

Keeping Score:

I set up an Action delegate for when things ‘scored’ and got the scoreboard to listen for them and add to a scriptable object score variable to keep tally

Lives...Err, Balls:

3 balls on the screen with a script looking after them that listened out for a lost ball or a reset.

Make It Sing:

I’ve my only little sound system that I plug in a call for when sounds are needed. I did adjust it to be more flexible when one class wanted to trigger multiple sounds.
Added sounds to launch, various bumpers, flipper taps and later combo hits and multiball

Eye Candy:

I got a few colors blinking and flashing for various scenarios

Light Them Up:

I actually did this for the eye candy challenge and linked them up so if all were triggered at the same time for more score and sounds (doesn’t quite work as I want it quite yet)

10X:

I decided easiest to do and see was based on time and added the UI side to the scoreboard class though could have been done separately.

Up To You:

I did quite a bit and the prototype as it stands can be found in the link below

If anyone wants to see any part of my code let me know but I’ve not done a tidy and there is quite a lot of it.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms