Orc Sculpt "Homework"

I actually have that same one. Originally, my brother used it and later sent it my way. I used that for a while. Much more affordable, and doesn’t take too much desk space.

1 Like

With a screen, it feels more precise since you are drawing where you are looking. In contrast, those without screens takes getting used to. However, it isn’t impossible to make great works of art on a tablet without a screen. If you haven’t drawn digitally before, I recommend going with what Jay suggested. Test the waters with a much more affordable option. At the end of the day, it’s totally up to personal preference. Either option won’t make a work of art superior or inferior.

2 Likes

Talk about coincidences.

2 Likes

I feel like a lot of artists are left handed

2 Likes

Sounds like something to save up for. The only thing I’m worried about is if it’s hard to look up and down since it’s not a display tablet. I would rather get a display tablet but there expensive

2 Likes

Here’s my orc so far I decided to do the fat one first

Details!1h1re79_gaMTk0NzM5MTEzNy4xNjU1ODQ3OTcx_ga_2C81L26GR9*MTY1NzEzMjYzMy41Ni4xLjE2NTcxMzMyNTcuMA…

1 Like

The only thing that makes a non-screen tablet tricky is the spacing it needs to accommodate for in relation to the size of the screen. As I am writing this, I remember that was what I had difficulty with. The sensitivity felt a little high at times. However, there are settings that can change that.

2 Likes

Here’s the fun part…I am not left handed and I also use a trackball. So…

I tried using the drawing pad left-handed and it’s a little challenging for me. When I’m using LibreSprite, I move the trackball to my left hand so I can use the wheel to scroll-zoom in and out, which is kind of a pain because it’s a right-handed trackball, but I deal with it. I also have the keyboard sitting there for CTRL+Z needs.

I don’t have much trouble with the targeting. When I hover the pen over the pad, it tracks nicely on the screen and it didn’t take much to get used to that.

I use two monitors, so the drawing pad covers both, and that was a little bit of an adjustment, but not bad.

As far as looking up and down at the screen, it’s not as bad as you’d think. The cursor tracks well when I hover the pen over the pad, so I rarely have to look down.

That said, I’m near-sighted and while I don’t have a current prescription for my glasses (I rarely wear them) it’s nice to be able to wear my glasses sometimes when I’m looking at screens.

Now that I’m getting a little older and my vision is getting a little worse, I can tell I would need bifocals to comfortable look at both the screen and the pad. I don’t normally wear my glasses really ever, but I would probably wear them more if I had a newer pair with a better prescription. For the moment, they are more of a hindrance than a benefit when doing this type of work.

Still, the pad tracks the cursor nicely on the screen when I hover the pen, and the buttons are on both sides of the pad to accommodate left and right handed people.

I haven’t had any real problems with this and I do enjoy using it.

1 Like

This is the actual model I use. You can see it is white and it has the four buttons in the corners.

I posted the other one because I don’t think this model is available anymore. I bought mine in 2016.

1 Like

I also got this wireless kit for my Wacom, but I don’t remember how much it cost me. I don’t think it was much though. If you decide you want to go wireless, you’ll want to see if your pad of choice comes with the built-in capability or if it requires additional hardware like mine did.

1 Like

Is it possible to reassign the buttons on the top with button combinations? If so, I’d probably make one of those “ctrl+z.”

1 Like

That’s a good idea, but I don’t know. I never gave it a thought that the buttons could be reassigned. I never really use them, but I like the way you’re thinking!

1 Like

So would you say it make sculpting better in your opinion?

2 Likes

Yeah, it did actually make sculpting more comfortable for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me! I’m going to look into some graphics tablets on amazon

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s my orc so far, he’s really coming together! And thanks for the tips I have a bunch of bakcup files

My orc found an expression!pfd9zn_gaMjAzMzcwOTM4MC4xNjU2NDU5OTE5_ga_2C81L26GR9*MTY1NzE1MDQ1Ny4zNS4xLjE2NTcxNTE3ODcuMA…

1 Like

You should post your orc on sketchfab if you do send me a link

2 Likes

I haven’t thought about it actually. The orc has not been properly “retopoed” for such things as facial expressions and finger movements. I’ve seen the models on sketchfab, I don’t think I’m quite up to that level of detail.

But I could set it up for download if you want the model.

5 Likes

I would love that! I think a lot of people would like your model! Keep creating!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms