Orc Sculpt "Homework"

The only thing that makes a non-screen tablet tricky is the spacing it needs to accommodate for in relation to the size of the screen. As I am writing this, I remember that was what I had difficulty with. The sensitivity felt a little high at times. However, there are settings that can change that.

2 Likes

Here’s the fun part…I am not left handed and I also use a trackball. So…

I tried using the drawing pad left-handed and it’s a little challenging for me. When I’m using LibreSprite, I move the trackball to my left hand so I can use the wheel to scroll-zoom in and out, which is kind of a pain because it’s a right-handed trackball, but I deal with it. I also have the keyboard sitting there for CTRL+Z needs.

I don’t have much trouble with the targeting. When I hover the pen over the pad, it tracks nicely on the screen and it didn’t take much to get used to that.

I use two monitors, so the drawing pad covers both, and that was a little bit of an adjustment, but not bad.

As far as looking up and down at the screen, it’s not as bad as you’d think. The cursor tracks well when I hover the pen over the pad, so I rarely have to look down.

That said, I’m near-sighted and while I don’t have a current prescription for my glasses (I rarely wear them) it’s nice to be able to wear my glasses sometimes when I’m looking at screens.

Now that I’m getting a little older and my vision is getting a little worse, I can tell I would need bifocals to comfortable look at both the screen and the pad. I don’t normally wear my glasses really ever, but I would probably wear them more if I had a newer pair with a better prescription. For the moment, they are more of a hindrance than a benefit when doing this type of work.

Still, the pad tracks the cursor nicely on the screen when I hover the pen, and the buttons are on both sides of the pad to accommodate left and right handed people.

I haven’t had any real problems with this and I do enjoy using it.

1 Like

This is the actual model I use. You can see it is white and it has the four buttons in the corners.

I posted the other one because I don’t think this model is available anymore. I bought mine in 2016.

1 Like

I also got this wireless kit for my Wacom, but I don’t remember how much it cost me. I don’t think it was much though. If you decide you want to go wireless, you’ll want to see if your pad of choice comes with the built-in capability or if it requires additional hardware like mine did.

1 Like

Is it possible to reassign the buttons on the top with button combinations? If so, I’d probably make one of those “ctrl+z.”

1 Like

That’s a good idea, but I don’t know. I never gave it a thought that the buttons could be reassigned. I never really use them, but I like the way you’re thinking!

1 Like

So would you say it make sculpting better in your opinion?

2 Likes

Yeah, it did actually make sculpting more comfortable for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me! I’m going to look into some graphics tablets on amazon

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s my orc so far, he’s really coming together! And thanks for the tips I have a bunch of bakcup files

My orc found an expression!pfd9zn_gaMjAzMzcwOTM4MC4xNjU2NDU5OTE5_ga_2C81L26GR9*MTY1NzE1MDQ1Ny4zNS4xLjE2NTcxNTE3ODcuMA…

1 Like

You should post your orc on sketchfab if you do send me a link

2 Likes

I haven’t thought about it actually. The orc has not been properly “retopoed” for such things as facial expressions and finger movements. I’ve seen the models on sketchfab, I don’t think I’m quite up to that level of detail.

But I could set it up for download if you want the model.

5 Likes

I would love that! I think a lot of people would like your model! Keep creating!

2 Likes

Thanks, that is encouraging. I’ll send a link when I have it all set up.

2 Likes

Awesome, Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Here ya are:

He has a set of six animations that can be viewed by clicking at the bottom left of the player:

Upon downloading, the file is known as a “packed file” which has all the textures for the character without needing a directory for them (self-contained).

However, if you wish to have the textures separate from the file, go to: file, external data, then unpack resources:

Let me know if you run into any issues, this is my first time doing this. :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you so much he looks great! I might put him in a game since i code with unreal engine. You should definetly continue uploading your models to sketchfab!

3 Likes

You forgot to make him downloadable if you don’t know how then here’s a tutorial from grant abbit.

1 Like

I forgot to save the setting for the download availability. Sorry about that. It’s preparing it now, it claims it may take a few minutes.

It should be ready by the time you read this.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms