Orbiting around Selection, still restrained to a object when nothing is selected

Hi everyone, I found some weird behavior when I enabled the “Rotate Around Selection” feature in the User Preferences > Interface as suggested in this video.

At first I loved it, the ability to rotate around a object without needing to zoom/focus it first is great, but its quite odd once you no longer have a selected object the viewport would still rotate around the last thing you had selected… I was expecting it would rotate freely across the scene.

Is there a hidden feature to say “Look, when you have no longer a selected object go back rotating freely across the viewport”? Or is it a bug/unexpected behavior? It feels quite constraining always orbit around a object, even if you have none selected.

Thank you!

I think Blender always rotates about some point when Rotate Around Selection is enabled. If you have a new file and nothing was ever selected, there is a default point (probably the origin, but I’m not certain) it rotates about. I think it’s a feature with no way around it except disabling Rotate Around Selection.

Oh I see, thank you for letting me know that. Since its no bug I guess I will keep using this feature and get used to that!

Privacy & Terms