Obstacle Assault compiler help

I get this error when I try to do live coding in Unreal. It says something about Json 1.2 not being supported

Running C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.exe -Target=“ObstacleAssaultEditor Win64 Development -Project=”“C:/Users/nevin/Documents/Unreal Projects/ObstacleAssault/ObstacleAssault.uproject”"" -LiveCoding -LiveCodingModules=“C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Intermediate/LiveCodingModules.txt” -LiveCodingManifest=“C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Intermediate/LiveCoding.json” -WaitMutex -LiveCodingLimit=100
Quick restart disabled when re-instancing is enabled.
Log file: C:\Users\nevin\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
Invalidating makefile for ObstacleAssaultEditor (working set of source files changed)
Parsing headers for ObstacleAssaultEditor
Running UnrealHeaderTool “C:\Users\nevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\ObstacleAssault.uproject” “C:\Users\nevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\Intermediate\Build\Win64\ObstacleAssaultEditor\Development\ObstacleAssaultEditor.uhtmanifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -abslog=“C:\Users\nevin\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_UHT.txt” -installed
Reflection code generated for ObstacleAssaultEditor in 2.124733 seconds
ERROR: Unhandled exception: Dependency file “C:\Users\nevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealEditor\Development\ObstacleAssault\MovingPlatform.gen.cpp.json” version (“1.2”) is not supported version
Build failed.

Ok so I found other people with a similar issue:

I went to find the .json files that were unsupported versions 1.2 and changed them to 1.1. It seems to have fixed the issue for now.

But it keeps changing back to version 1.2 occasionally. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

You just need to roll back to MSVC 14.30. You can do this with the VS installer. I just did this with a fresh install of VS 2022 CE and was able to get past the json error.

Also, it looks like this issue was fixed on the main branch about a week and a half ago, so I expect it will no longer be a problem once 5.0.2 is released.

Ok cool, then I would need to “run build task” in VS-code again, I imagine? I changed the MSVC at one point yesterday and ran into issues in UE5. But if I recall correctly, I never ran the build task in VS-code and just ended up changing the MSVC back and adjusting the .json files to 1.1 instead.

I’m considering leaving it as is because it’s working now and I can probably get through the rest of the section while they work on releasing an update.

I feel like I have PTSD with changing 1 setting and it breaking everything, haha.

Yeah if it is working for you as is then I’d just run with that unless you run into other issues down the line. It isn’t necessary to be on any particular version, just the version that works. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Do you think Epic will release an update to allow use of version 1.2 .json files?

Sorry I’m a bit new to all this.

Yep, a fix is already on the main branch.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms