New Team Project

This is amazing guys! Keep this up!

It’s alright, you made it inside the deadline!

The time has come to choose our first project! Here are the proposals in the order they were submitted (click arrow to expand):

1. Dinosaur Lake
2. Beach Houses
3. Western Motel
4. Street with Houses
5. Garden Maze

So which one should we do? Hopefully this is just the first project of many, so if you like more than one, we can come back and do another later. I’m thinking we should restrict the voting to those who plan to contribute to the project. Do you guys agree?

• Dinosaur Lake
  • Beach Houses
  • Western Motel
  • Street with Houses
  • Garden Maze

0 voters

I set a soft deadline for two days from now (2020-06-27T03:00:00Z), but it won’t close automatically, so I can leave it open if we need more time. I also enabled “show who voted”, so we can take a vote to mean you plan to participate.

(edit: I changed the deadline from one day to two days to allow for more discussion. We can begin with an initial poll to gauge interest, then I think you can change your vote if the discussion changes your mind)

OK I’ll try to get the ball rolling with discussion.

I voted for Western Motel. I think it would be easy for different people to do the different assets. Don’t have much time? You can do the end table, or even just the picture frame on it. But then it also has some more challenging models such as the woman or the car for somebody who wants to do something more difficult.

I like the Jurassic Park dinosaur lake–obviously, or I wouldn’t have proposed it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. And I think we could do it with a small team. But since a few people said they wouldn’t have much time, I’m not sure if there’s any way to include those people. Maybe making more tree/plant variations? Don’t know how interesting that would be.

I like the beach scene as well, and I think it would be easy to add stuff for the people I previously mentioned (such as a beach ball, a sandcastle, etc).

The street with houses could be cool, but I’d like to know more.

The Garden Maze is a cool picture, and very visually interesting. My concern is how we’d divide the labor. The hedges take up most of the picture, and seems like it makes the most sense to have one person make those. Then you’ve got the bridge and the gazebo, which are more complex, but less visible. Seems like a 2 or 3 person job to me.

Hmmm… What do you guys think? How should we do this? Seems like team size could be a determining factor in which project we should choose.

1 Like

As you wrote, team size and, to a lesser extent, individual skills are key factors to choose the right project; here’s my take on the proposals:

• Dinosaur lake: awesome scene, requiring a medium sized team and easy to split work to allow more contributors to join, though no element strikes me as particularly easy to model; with this I think we should go for accurate recreation although stylized in low poly. My take is that we should tackle this after a warm up project but I surely would love to do this in the future
  • Beach scene: this could be a nice starting project, skypekitten9 mentioned elements I didn’t find in the picture, so I think that it’s intended as a mood board kind of reference, not strictly recreating this specific image (@skypekitten9, feel free to correct me :smiley: ); the advantage of this approach is that we can really accomodate as much people as we want, but on the other hand there’s the risk of putting too many too varied things in; I think the role of the project lead will be critical here
  • Western Motel: this is not my favourite Hopper’s painting, but I think this has the nicest balance of elements quantity and complexity; here the hardest part to model are the woman and the car, the rest is easy to medium difficulty, with the landscape already heavily stylized; as with the dinosaur scene here I think we should go for faithful recreation in low poly style
  • Street scene: this has the same advantage and disadvantage of the beach scene, flexibility on one hand and a bit too loose guidelines on the other; for what it’s worth, this is what came to my mind when I read this proposal:
  • Garden maze: very cool picture, the maze itself may be sculpted with alpha brushes from a finely subdivided plane, I think, anyway is pretty much a one person job, other than that there are basically a modular bridge (two ramps and one or more span in each) and a gazebo. Maybe we could add other elements?
3 Likes

@albesca all good points. :+1:

About half a day until the soft deadline. Does anyone else want to weigh in before we choose one? Or is there anyone who plans on participating who hasn’t voted yet? Anyone can also change your vote if you want to, click on “Show vote” and then pick your new choice.

Yes all why I voted for it. It seems to offer a range of abilities the opportunity to contribute. Somewhat more easily and well defined than the others.

It might be a good model to use in the future, find an image to recreate. An easier way to establish this form of collaboration. Later with a few under out belts looser ambitions might then become easier.

2 Likes

We currently have a tie between Western Motel and Dinosaur Lake. @skypekitten9, care to break the tie? I’m assuming you will be participating based on your previous posts.

The tie is broken and the project is chosen! It will be the Western Motel. Which makes @albesca our first lead. How should we proceed?

Sry for late response! Let’s get some reference material for the western town.

Item list

Woman.
Car front.
Room Walls, Windows\curtains.
Bed.
Suitcases.
Armchair, cloth/cushion thing.
Bedside table.
Lamp, Photo frame?
Exterior, rock, road, space.

Ok, I originally wrote here, but then I thought that in the long run it would be very confusing, so I made a new topic here:
Team Project 1 - Hopper’s Western Motel

2 Likes

Hey, uhh… so we can share Blender folders with other people to work on? Like, someone else can append a file that I created onto their own scene, & then work on it, is that what this means, & vice versa? This is all new to me, how does this work?

Here I posted the link to a test project I set up in github:

Basically, we would make each model in its own file, and then put them all together in a master file with links

2 Likes

Downloaded your test chair.
Then I joined that place.
Made a basic hat that hangs on your chair.
But I cant upload to it, need ‘File uploads require push access to this repository.’
What extra has to be gone through?

1 Like

Ok, I went to Github, signed up, & was able to download the chair.blend file. I duplicated it, & made the duplicate chair red, just to test it out. That’s really cool.
I may join in & do something really small & basic, but I’m honestly just trying to keep up with the class material. But, ya know, this is kinda part of the class experience, too. So, yeah, it’s neat.

1 Like

I have to invite you as a collaborator of the project, what’s your github username?

Username NP5, Slightly different from the name I registered with, as it had gone already.

if it’s ok, I’ll just “monkey see, monkey do” on this one: (observe for a while, & when I get the hang out of it, then I’ll participate:) if that’s alright.

1 Like

Wow, you guys moved that collab idea a long way! I’ve been working 12 hours a day for the past few weeks so I had to take a little time off from blender, but I’ll be back shortly!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms