My rocket is a dud

I’m following the tutorial and so far tried to copy exactly all the values into my code. My rocket is scaled the same, its mass is 0.2, and now I’m trying to add force to it (with AddRelativeForce) by adding the Vector3.up in there.

However, when in the tutorial video the rocket instantly flies high up in the sky when pressing space, my rocket can’t even take off when the mass is 0.2 (or the added force is 1). I change the mass to 0.1 and it takes off veeeery slowly. I could play around with the values of course and set them to something that works, but it bothers me why is my rocket acting differently, while all the values are the same, as far as I know! Any idea what’s happening?

I checked the project gravity settings in Unity, and the Y value is set to -9.81 (the default, I assume). I’m using Unity version 2019.something whereas the tutorial seems to use 2018.something - could there be some difference?

1 Like

Hi Tomiboo,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

There is a strange bug in Unity which prevents the rocket from flying when it is selected in the Hierarchy. Try to select something else and click into the game window once to set Unity’s focus on the game window again. Did this work?

See also:

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the welcome and for the super quick reply!

That was indeed the solution. I’ve done some very basic stuff with Unity, but never bumped into this problem before. Sounds very strange indeed! I’m glad it wasn’t anything more complicated though. Thanks again, you’ve saved me from some headache! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms