My Number Wizard makes educated guesses. ft. clipart & options page

Guesses are performed by taking the average of 2 random.range actions.

Link to gamehub

Feedback welcome.

Ways I wish to improve this at some point:
Music (does anyone know a good resource for free music that doesn’t require a paid subscription?)
Options to change the range and number of guesses.

Hi Elliot,

Have a look at our Wiki : Free & Cheap Indie GameDev Resources, you are bound to find some audio there which you can use.

Updated Fri Apr 27 2018 15:44

Just had a game, I really like the little number wizard sprite in the corner with the changing faces, nice touch.

One thing, I thought the first time I played it was unusual to offer 8 guesses… so I played a second time and logged the guesses and turns;

Iteration 9 - Guess value : 434 - text “Guesses remaining 8”
Iteration 8 - Guess value : 780 - “Guesses remaining 7”
Iteration 7 - Guess value : 577 - “Guesses remaining 6”
Iteration 6 - Guess value : 688 - “Guesses remaining 5”
Iteration 5 - Guess value : 727 - “Guesses remaining 4”
Iteration 4 - Guess value : 704 - “Guesses remaining 3”
Iteration 3 - Guess value : 716 - “Guesses remaining 2”
Iteration 2 - Guess value : 726 - “Guesses remaining 1”
Iteration 1 - Guess value : 716 - “Guesses remaining 0”
Iteration 0 - Guess value : 721 - Screen flashed with a new guess before taking me to the “I won” scene

At the very beginning it said there were 8 guesses remaining, but actually, there were more. It looks like you have maxGuesses set to 10, but then there is a little anomaly which, because one guess is taken at the beginning it should really say “9 guesses left”, but in addition to that, you are also out by 1 as the number wizard takes a final guess when it states “Guesses remaining 0”.

Just a minor thing but might be nice to tidy up.

Also, if you look at the guess values above, you’ll note that the number wizard guesses the same value twice. Because of your two factor randomisation, this will probably occur infrequently, but from a continuity perspective it might be nice if it didn’t repeat previous guesses.

As a feature suggestion, you could also consider changing the text “Guesses remaining” to be different when it reaches certain states, for example;

“Uh oh, I’ve only got 5 guesses left!”

“You won’t beat me, I still have 3 guesses left”

“Ahhh, no one ever beats me… still 2 guesses left!”

“My last chance, I can still do it!”

I’m sure you can word something better than me, but this would make the screen more interesting as the player would have something else to read :slight_smile:

You might also consider some cheat protection, for example, if the first guess is quite low, you can hit “lower” continuously until you get to a point where you can still say the number wizard is wrong, even though it has to be that number. The same is true for “higher”. It’s a boundaries issue.

If there are no numbers left between the current guess and the real minimum, or no guesses left between the current guess and the real maximum, and the player clicks anything but “correct” - they are cheating.

You could either add a funny message to catch them out, or, when you detect this, hide the “higher” and “lower” buttons so that they can only click “correct”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms