My Little Army - Cyberpunk Themed Modular Vehicles

Hello!

I finally finished my take on modular vehicles. I made it cyberpunk/sci-fy themed. Here is a set of vehicles rendered in Cycles:

And here is showcase animation rendered with Cycles:

And for comparison rendered with Eevee:

Edit: added Cycles render.

19 Likes

Iā€™m loving your style of animation, and those Tripods are terrific. :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

Thatā€™s actually my first ā€œrealā€ animation in Blender (other than whatā€™s shown in the course, i.e., follow the spline). Had to google a lot for everything, even simple things like ā€˜fade to blackā€™ :sweat_smile:. I learnt a lot in the process though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d say you certainly did, because it was well done. If I saw that somewhere other than here in the class forum, I wouldā€™ve thought it was professional.

1 Like

Awesome

2 Likes

Wow! These are so good! Really nice level of detail for the size of the models, but the emissive textures are really the star of the show here. Great work!

1 Like

Thanks!

The emission is a bit overblown in some places (itā€™s quite hard to tweak it with multiple camera angles and animations) and being a screen-based effect in Eevee (bloom) it behaves strangely from some angles. I am rendering it in cycles and hope it will come out way better compared to eeveeā€¦ Iā€™m also tempted to bring them to Unreal Engine and see how they look, but setting all the stuff would take me couple of daysā€¦ Must resist for now or Iā€™ll never finish the course :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Finally, here is a render with Cycles:

In my opinion, it looks way better than rendered with Eevee (but it took sooo long to renderā€¦)

5 Likes

Hm, :thinking: I re-watched the video and just noticed that when camera is moving relatively fast (but not crazy fast), but perpendicular to vehicles (e.g., starting at 12s)ā€¦ the video is choppy. Itā€™s a bit better in Eevee (maybe I had some different options checked?). Another problem is that in the same motion of camera the vehicles are getting quite blurry. I specifically checked my last rendering settings and I had motion blur disabled in cycles, so thatā€™s not itā€¦

How to fix those two problems? Maybe turning on motion blur will help with ā€œjaggedā€ animation? Increasing frame rate (I rendered at 25fps)? Other things?

What I would ideally like to have is quite a smooth motion of camera, but also crisp visibility of the weapons on top of vehiclesā€¦

2 Likes

Very nice, they all tie together really well. How much longer did cycles take than eevee? Just curious

1 Like

Thanks!

Really looong :wink: . There are 3100 farmes (25 fps). In Eevee itā€™s sub-second per frame. In Cycles its between 15-25 sec per frame. I had it spread between multiple scenes and one time blender crashed, so I donā€™t have exact times. But assuming average 20 sec/frame a continuous render would take 17.2h.

(YMMV if you have faster/slowr GPU than mine - I have 1080ti)

Very nice Cycles render.
Shows them off very well.

That is no time at all. Well in that when I first did the fluffy bunny in the old 2.7 course version one image took 18 hours. Made animation rather out of the question. lol.

1 Like

Re-rendered and re-uploaded to new YT channel:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms