My goal: a multiplayer game focused on friendship!

Hello! I graduated this summer from an university degree where I learned all the basics of game dev but I feel that it wasn’t complete because I didn’t do any multiplayer game and I don’t even know where to begin make one!

I love playing with my friends to games like “Overcooked” or “It takes two” and I will love to create something like that! Those are local multiplayer games and, although they are great when you could be with your friends, I would love to make my online version to play with them now that I can’t see them so often anymore.

I think that I’m going to have some difficulties understanding code because I mostly used Blueprints to make my games on Unreal and I’m not used to C++, but I’m eager to learn and practice!

1 Like

C++ as a language isn’t hard. Using it with Unreal is tricky mainly because the engine documentation is poor. There’s plenty of resources out there to help. We normally recommend the C++ course first so if you have time, it is worth running through that course.

It sure looks this way. Plus, another caveat about C++ to be aware of is that it is a million different dialects, fairly different in each project. Every C++ project chooses what subset of the language and its standard-libraries is acceptable to it, everything else becoming a not-on-here. And so indeed then Unreal has its own “the C++ of UE”, although that is somewhat spelled out in the docs in its own document.

Just a heads-up when attempting to study from other non-UE C++ codebases here or there =)

This isn’t quite true. C++ in unreal engine adheres to ansi standards as does visual studio and gcc. The current release is v23. I think unreal uses C++ 20 and certainly can use language features in that version. I suspect what you’re referring to is the libraries and support can vary but generally, most compilers these days support the Standard Template Library for the given language version.

Unreal does do 2 things differently. First is they’ve adopted a non standard coding style, and second they use their own libraries (which I suspect are wrappers for the standard template library but optimised for the engine) and this would be no different than coding for a mac or windows where specific libraries are needed.

I hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Privacy & Terms