My Game -- Penny Laser Defender

It took me forever to get this uploaded due to some problems with zipping my folder but finally here it is:

http://www.sharemygame.com/share/08d8ed08-0719-4ef6-bb64-62d0331e2f67

I already know there is some type of bug with it because my fonts are too big – not sure why but whatever feedback you all can provide me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

2 Likes

I like your music and sound effects.

I did encounter some bugs but it’s still a really good implementation of the tutorial.

It appears you hit the same scaling issues I did.

The right arrow key isn’t moving the player. WASD is working fine. Shoot (Space) moves the player to the right while shooting.

The particle system particles could probably be scaled down a bit.

Look forward to your next production.

Thanks for your feedback. I’m not sure how to fix the bugs. It took me forever just to get it uploaded to ShareMyGame because I had an issue with my ability to zip the game files. Hopefully, I won’t have that problem again the next time I get ready to upload a game.

I agree that I have too many particles – I shouldn’t have played around with it as much as I did because, at one time, it looked better and then I had to experiment – haha. Should have left well enough alone.

I’m not sure how to fix the bugs.

With the scaling issue, I don’t either at this stage. I’d suggest monitor that other thread to see if anyone more learned posts a fix.

With the right key, check Player.cs for your firing logic. You’ll likely find where it has some of the movement logic included by accident. If you have it on GitHub, post a link and we can take a look.

I agree that I have too many particles – I shouldn’t have played around with it as much as I did because, at one time, it looked better and then I had to experiment – haha. Should have left well enough alone.

Nah experimenting is the key to learning. Is you don’t mess with things, you don’t make mistakes. If you don’t make mistakes, you don’t learn anything new. FWIW, I think it’s less too many rather than the size of the particles is a little too big. But that’s a preference thing so no right or wrong way to do it.

I don’t know why but I don’t have a problem on my PC with the right arrow key. I have Windows 7. My husband played it on his PC and he had the same problem as you did with the right arrow key and he has Windows 10. What system are you playing it on? It could have something to do with the operating system.

Concerning the particles, I did not intend for those to be big. Somehow, when I was messing around with things trying to remove a read/write error I was getting on the console, I ended up with those large particles. I could have changed them but I was more concerned with fixing the other issue. Funny thing is, the read/write error was not preventing me from being able to play the game. I was just trying to be thorough and get rid of the error like Rick has taught us to do. Haha.

When I get a chance, I will definitely try to work on these other issues with it and then, hopefully, re-upload it without issues (fingers crossed).

What system are you playing it on?
Windows 10, 64 bit

If you’ve uploaded the project to GitHub or GitLab, I can take a look.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been in there so I’m not sure how to get back in.

Privacy & Terms