My first human character project

Well done Mark. I have noticed the glowing nostrils in other 3D software renders as well, so I’m not sure it’s specific to the EEVEE render engine.

That said, I think you may be right with respect to the subsurface scattering possibly being the culprit, as I’ve used that in other software as well with similar results.

1 Like

Hi Miss_B! Yes I think it’s something that frequently becomes an issue with many characters. I’ve since found a way of fixing it and I think it’s something that many other characters have as well. The way I fixed it was to vertex paint the nostrils black using a new vertex colour group and plug it into the ambient occlusion and that seems to lower the amount of glow that happens in the nostrils. This would work better if I used a texture though as they’re aren’t many vertices in the nostrils to get it looking smooth enough but my characters still aren’t UV unwrapped.

I’ve noticed this with other characters since for example:

Rapunsel from Tangled. They’ve also done the same thing here.

And Elsa:

If Disney are doing it, I guess it must be the right way?
It looks like that’s what they’ve done anyway :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how they did it with Moana though…
This looks like a different method. This could be using a SSS map.
Moana is probably my favourite Disney movie. I’ve watched it probably 10 times already. It’s amazing how they animated the hair…

3 Likes

Metoo, amazing facial expressions and hair.
For me, these movies and tv-series are like professional literature.
You can sometimes feel / see how many time they spend in the model.

1 Like

I totally agree… Now that I’m trying to learn how to animate, I realise that I’ve got a long way to go because after seeing these movies again and seeing the way they move, I can see they are just works of art… It’s not something you really appreciate fully unless you’re looking for it. How many years must it take to be able to do that? I can’t even begin to imagine haha…

Because of team work. We think everything is done by one or two people.
It’s not! Lot’s of people working on assets with their expertise.
That’s why I find it very impressive what you do!
I find you characters believable, a certain quality!
On the animation part, I see you starting at a new dimension of blender 3D.
Don’t forget. Big companies just buy or create movement data from real people.
You do it in the old fashion way, hand made … a kill of it’s own.

1 Like

Thanks Pete! Yes, I guess that’s why the main type of keyframe animation we see nowadays is stylised or for games. It is so satisfying to see my characters move though, even if it’s tedious and I’m just starting out with it.

Anway, I’ve just spent this weekend getting this guy as close to “finished” as possible. He’s not perfect but I think I’ll work on the other characters now and if I get more time to improve it I will, although I’m on a bit of a deadline with this so it’s good enough for now I think haha…

6 Likes

Great job Mark!

2 Likes

I find it amazing stuff. You are in a very complex project!

Some feedback:
This guy never blinks his eyes when the students are talking (he doesn’t play / roll with his eyes).
His left hand stays still, no micro movement.
But that said, it’s also what you want to achieve with this movie. Where lies the focus of the viewer (me).
And of course how you will use the material. Because it’s a dialogue, you would expect to see the others. but I understand the other characters are in the build. So this video is a rough material.

Great professionalism. Very believable and studio quality.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin! :slight_smile:

Hey Pete, fantastic feedback! Yes I should add some blinks to the eyes while he’s talking and while he’s listening to the students. I’ve watched this over so many times that I never reall noticed how weird it looked without his eyes blinking but now you mention it, I can see it now :slight_smile:

And the hands just go from one pose to the next. This was to save time but now that the hands have been “blocked in”, I’m going to add some micro movement to them also because they do look a bit static don’t they?

Thanks for the great feedback :slight_smile: Having other pairs of fresh eyes, really helps me to see the things that need improving! I’m glad you like it so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s always nice to get some constructive feedback. But still, you as a creator / designer are still in the lead.

I had to say my previous comments, because I watched recently (for the n-th time) the Blender Guru “Understanding composition”.

Where the attention goes immediately to faces. But now you’ve mastered Blender. Now you need to increase your Director skills. Animation, from start to end is so complex.

A personal question.
How much time do you spend on this daily? Does it fit in your daily work?

1 Like

Yes, this animation thing is completely alien to me, so it’s a steep learning curve. I think this project will give me a lot of mileage in learning how to animate/set up a scene/light a scene properly. I’m finding it difficult to make an interview style of animation as animated as I can possibly make it. (It’s pretty basic and the characters are sitting so it’s hard to know how to animate them so it’s not completely boring to watch and still believeable).

I only have the weekends to work on it because I work during the week. I started this project in February, making the characters and rigging them. During the Easter week, I lip-synced them all. That was a bit of crash-course in lip-syncing haha

I’m trying to get this First part finished by mid-May so I can start on the other 3 parts. Setting up the characters is pretty much done though so it’s just a case of animating them now. I plan on getting all 4 parts done by the end of June. Hopefully I’ll speed up to reach that goal but I should really try to explore ways of speeding up the process so I can work on other things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, you’re really focused on this this project (no side steps). Big commitment, even more appreciation for what you do!!

I’ve seen people, using Blender drivers, analyzing audio and connect this to shapekeys for automated lip sync. See https://youtu.be/1sARkbkhDjk?t=568

1 Like

Thanks Pete! Actually, I’m a huge procrastinator but I’ve had to really learn to stay focussed and not get side-tracked. I hope I don’t burn myself out before it’s finished haha

That’s an interesting approach to lip syncing and it seems to work great for getting a basic jaw movement going :slight_smile: That could save a lot of time!

What I’m going to try for Part 2 is to make actions for the vocals and consonants. Some consonants could be the same, for example:
p and b,
t and d,
k and g,
n and l,
ch and j, sh and the soft “zsh” in vision,
w and u, (the w would be released)
f and v,
Then I could add each action in the NLA strip and blend between them but I’m not really 100% sure how to use the NLA editor or whether it would blend them well. But a day setting that up for all the characters may save me a lot of time later on.

1 Like

This is the first rough pass of this character and only part of what I managed to get done today.
It’s just a low render quality so ignore the poor quality and ugly shadows.

6 Likes

Keep at it Mark, because as I can see, you’re on a roll. :wink:

2 Likes

I love the smile after a good aswer.
And emotions given by the eyes.
Nobody watches the shadows, people watch the face. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks you guys, just got to keep working at it. Next weekend I’ll have more time again to do more/make changes :slight_smile:

UPDATE:

This is what I managed to get done last weekend.

Hoping to get this finished for next weekend…

3 Likes

I finally managed to get this done.

I guess this would make this technically my first “animation short”.

Time to work on something else a little more exciting now haha…

10 Likes

Great work, a large project to keep track of.
Like the body facial expressions, a wide diversity.
Also how you emphasize the main and sub-characters, by color and softness.
So the focus stays on the story. Nice short camera cuts.

" I think Pablo need more English lessons. " :wink:

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms