My Building Escape progress after Logging To The Output Log

Hi there,

I’ve learned how to log into to the Unreal’s output log. I haven’t made any changes in the Building Escape files and the WorldPosition header file, I’ve made changes only in the WorldPosition c++ file.

We need to log in to the output log because we can’t see anything on our terminal ( like we used to do in Bulls & Cows game so we log in the output log.

Syntax-

UE_LOG(LogTemp, Verbosity, TEXT(“Some text here.”);

Verbosity can be three keywords here-

1. Error - outputs the text in red,
  2. Warning - outputs the text in yellow, and
  3. Display - outputs the text in grey.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHILE USING THESE KEYWORDS!!

Correct-

UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("This is a Warning message!!"); 
    // Note how Warning starts with an uppercase W. This'll compile and work.

Wrong-

UE_LOG(LogTemp, warning, TEXT("This is a Warning message!!"); 
    // Note how Warning starts with an lowercase. This'll not compile and won't work.

I’m mentioning this because this a real hard error to catch, at least for me though. Don’t make the same mistake I made.

Here are the screenshots of my UE editor and VS code-

UE Editor (observe the output log in both screenshots)-

Before pressing play-

After pressing play-

It’s giving the output twice because the WorldPosition component is added on the sphere and the cube too.

VS code (I’ve only made changes in my WorldPosition c++ file) -

Another thing I would like to get your attention on is this-

If you see in the first picture showing my output log before I press play, you’ll notice there is a sphere.
When I press play I 'am not able to see the sphere.

UE editor before pressing play button-

UE editor after pressing play button-

under the floor-

Any way’s, if you know the solution to this then please let me know.

I’m posting this to keep a track of my progress. I’ll compare my VS code and UE editor with the end result to see what I come up with.

Please like my post, reply, and answer the sphere disappearing problem.

Previous post: My Building Escape progress after Unreal’s Classes and Components

Thanks for reading,
BYE!!

2 Likes

Thank you for your tips! They are very important and most people will oversee them and end up have problems with very easy to solutions that could have been avoidable if it was more clear. Sometimes Unreal hides a lot of things that could break a project for a beginners and discourage them.

1 Like

Hello @Kevin-Brandon

Your welcome, I can relate to this because its very easy to get into these problems. They were literally unnoticeable for me. Yeah, I’ve came across a lots of problems like these where it was a very silly mistake that’s the reason I included that.

Take care,
BYE!!

Privacy & Terms