Multiplayer Theory

I think starting here instead of jumping right into making our own game was a good choice. It was interesting listening to the explanation of Peer to Peer, Client to Server, and Host/Client/Server. While listening I was making the connections to different games I’ve played in the past the have fit the different models. To be honest I’m not sure about any Peer to Peer that I’ve played. Client to Server is definitely most games I feel now. The host model though explained Warcraft 3 custom maps I used to play. Some other games too which you would sometimes get the message “Host left the game… finding new host…”. Now I understand what was actually going on here and have a better idea of how multiplayer works in general.

Anyone have any examples for actual peer to peer games?

Wasnt age of empires peer to peer? Seem to remember it being so and games like that maybe.
Kinda hard to put my finger on one as its been so long lol

Yes, I use to play a peer2peer game in my childhood. It use to be a direct connection between 2 players. The game I use to play was a soccer game so the servers were in Sweden. I remember If we use to get connect using server, the ping/latency was always higher than peer2peer connection and p2p connection let us have the same latency, if I had 60ms, then other player connected to me also had around 60ms

Privacy & Terms